cleaning salt off NY vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister moved to New York city about 10 years ago and bought a kia rio back in 2014. She just moved back. I am sure there is salt residue on it. Should I just hose it off as best I can or is there a way to do it better? I have never had to deal with this before and I want to make sure her car doesn't become a rust bucket, if its not too late already.. thanks.

It's gonna happen eventually

We're not cheap with the salt

Short of rustproofing from new, frequent undercarriage car washes in winter can help rinse it away

Get under it and see how it's looking

Maybe a few cans of Fluid Film or Krown may help

I do mine on ramps if the winter was bad. I drive the front up on the ramps, I have a good power washer with a long wand, and get as much as I can with the front wheels up on the ramps. Then back it up the ramps and do the rest of the vehicle. I set the pressure very low, and use car soap via the soap injector. It works very well.

If it isn't bad I use a sprinkler or a PVC wand I made for washing the undercarriage. My vehicles are rust proofed and I touch up or re-do as needed after the clean up, and I'm sure it's dry.

Soap and water will help wash off the salt. However, it's my suggestion to trade the car before the rust starts showing, which probably won't be all that soon. Even one single exposure to the salt/brine they use on the roads starts the corrosion process. At which point, it cannot be stopped.

Sure, immersing a corroded part in oil can stop corrosion. Short of amazing effort, including disassembly, the rust and corrosion is on it's way.

I have 2 F150's. a 2009 and a 2011, The 2011 was exposed to road salt during transport to Florida. Guess which one has corrosion everywhere? Yup, you guessed it, the newer one that was exposed. And good god, the rust is everywhere, on each and every part.

You are worried over nothing. Any salt damage is already there.

If the car has been driven in the rain since last winter, all the residual salt has been washed off. Just driving through a summer rainstorm and puddles washes it off.

Check the brakes though. Salt can do damage to the calipers, pads and pins.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
You are worried over nothing. Any salt damage is already there.

If the car has been driven in the rain since last winter, all the residual salt has been washed off. Just driving through a summer rainstorm and puddles washes it off.

I agree.

What I do in the winter on milder days (Salt won't do much (corrosion) when it is really cold out) is get out the garden hose and spray up under the wheel wells and the rocker panels plus I spray liberally anywhere else I can get while being down on one or both knees.
I also usually get my vehicles under coated/rust proved by either Krown or Rust Check annually or at least semi annually depending on how harsh the winter was before?

Not boasting, but doing this over the years has gotten me quite a few compliments on how well my vehicles look after many years.

Even with corrosion present, the car would benefit from rustproofing. Now is a good time. With a good wash and drying, the compound will do a good job seeping into the nooks and crannies during hot weather.

I wouldn't rustproof now until you're absolutely sure you got the salt out, or you'll just be locking it in. I wait until you get a torrential rainfall and drive through as many water puddles as you can. Salt will dissolve in fresh water.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
if its not too late already.. thanks.
Probably too late already. I wouldn't worry about it. Drive it until it does eventually become a rust bucket and then get something else.

I'm amazed at this magical NYC salt that can survive 4 years and never get washed off a vehicle.
lol.gif

Hose it off or run it through the undercarriage wash bay if it makes you feel better. The salt damage has been done. Want the car to last longer before somebody else runs into it and totals it, flash flooding submerges it or a deer jumps in your way? Sure, "rustproof" it if it will make you feel better.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Even with corrosion present, the car would benefit from rustproofing. Now is a good time. With a good wash and drying, the compound will do a good job seeping into the nooks and crannies during hot weather.

I agree 100%. If the vehicle is already/somewhat rusty, the rust proofing will stop it dead in its tracks and will adhere a tad better as well.
Warm/hot weather is best, I agree. Most wait until fall/winter but it is actually the worst time but is still far better than not doing anything at all.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
I wouldn't rustproof now until you're absolutely sure you got the salt out, or you'll just be locking it in. I wait until you get a torrential rainfall and drive through as many water puddles as you can. Salt will dissolve in fresh water.

I disagree. The undercoating, if a recognized oil spray such as Rust Check or Krown is used, will stop any further rusting dead in its tracks.

If, by some slim chance, the OPs vehicle is still covered in salt underneath, then just spray everything down good like I mentioned with a garden hose on the shower or stronger setting.
One should do this prior, imo, anyways, as you want to get dirt/clumps out from underneath if you can. Of course this would mainly apply to someone who has been down dirty muddy roads but taking a fairly clean car to any rustproofing place is recommended.

For $100 shops will clean the undercarriage with compressed air and then spray Krown or CarWell or FluidFilm. It will get into the cracks and crevices and prevent any future corrosion for a few years.

Some undercarriage sprays (at a carwash) mix an anti-corrosive chemical in with the water that is sprayed.

Hard to imagine too much salt is left if you have driven any distance in a few rain storms.

You can buy a spray container of "Salt Away" on Amazon.

Here's an 09 Accord with 150k miles from western NY that's been to Krown annually for rust treatments. It was bought in 2012 with 22k miles on it. Plus it gets driven in the winter.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Welcome to New York. Good Luck!

crackmeup2.gif
Good one! Definitely a vehicle that has been submerged/sunk and recently been brought back to the surface.
Not real life at all nor a representative example of a vehicle being driven in the winter without rust proof protection.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Here's an 09 Accord with 150k miles from western NY that's been to Krown annually for rust treatments. It was bought in 2012 with 22k miles on it. Plus it gets driven in the winter.

Definitely money well spent, SS!
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back