Cleaning out the oil shelf in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 3 qts Maxlife blend and 2 qts Mobil one high mileage and the old ram is due for a change. I don't feel like driving to wally world so I'm thinking about doing a little mixing. Any issues with mixing these two oils? It will be changed at 3000 and I'll do a UOA just for the [censored] of it.

Go for it. I just did some mixing in my mom's Malibu to make sure I have an even amount for next time. Doesn't hurt anything, I've done it before.

Save your money on the UOA and get a jug of a good oil at WM. Use the other stuff in lawn mowers & such. Your weird mix will probably do no harm but, why waste 22 bucks on that UOA?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Save your money on the UOA and get a jug of a good oil at WM. Use the other stuff in lawn mowers & such. Your weird mix will probably do no harm but, why waste 22 bucks on that UOA?

I'll do it just because I'm curious. The truck has never had a UOA in 290,000 miles. I always figured I could change for less than a UOA, But after reading this forum I curious as what a UOA looks like in a 290,000 mile engine. I fully agree it would be a waste of of $22, But who on this forum wouldn't be interested in looking at that UOA.

Originally Posted By: Eddie

This would be my thought also. You have 2 different base oils, 2 different add packs, especially in detergents and anti wear/FM. As Eddie said, it will probably do no harm, but, I do not see one of these oils enhancing the other. The total may/could be less than the sum of the two, or however it is you say that.
21.gif
crazy2.gif

Mix it up and change the oil with it. You'll be 100% fine and you can start your oil collection all over again. If I did a UOA it wouldn't be with this mix though. But use it with zero worries. Mixed Base oil/add pack is of no concern on a 290,000 mile unit. You're just looking to change the oil with what you have anyway right? One oil "enhancing" the other is of no matter here then.

since the question is kinda already asked, at my last oil change (a month ago and already 2500kms since the oil change), I bought 2x5l of M1 5w30.

The car only needs 5,7-5,8 liters of oil in the crank case. I always keep some in the car for topping off but in 6 months from now, if there's, let say, 2 liters left, can I use it for my next oil change and only buy one 5 liters or should I buy another 2x5l ?

The label on Mobile 1 expressly states that its oil can be blended with other oils, and nowhere is there a warning such as "so not mix oils of different makes". It makes sense, with the money saved from not making a trip to Wally world, this could go toward a UOA, and we are a DYING for someone to do a UOA on a "FrankenMix". I would even contribute 10$ towards you doing it. I mix oils all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back