cleaning out tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure this the best place for this... but it does have to do with maintenance:

Best way to clean out a red plastic gas container that has had new coolant stored in it for the last few months?

I want to be able to use the container for gas.

Perhaps put a little gas in it, swish around, dump... and I'm good to go with fresh gas in this container?

I'd wash with clean water, twice with denatured alcohol, let it dry and use it. And by wash, add a pint, swish it around really well and dump it.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
I'd wash with clean water, twice with denatured alcohol, let it dry and use it. And by wash, add a pint, swish it around really well and dump it.
You are just putting gas in it, not eating out of it...

Here is the process I was thinking of using:

-rinse out with hot water several times then allow to dry

-rinse out the methyl hydrate (gas line antifreeze)

-rinse out with small amount of gas

-done & ready for gas

I would just clean it with water then leave it out in the sun. Maybe blow some compressed air in there or alternatively stick a vacuum in and let it get fresh air around the nozzle/ through the vent. Don't stick a vacuum in a can that has flammable vapors... kablooey!!

If you're cursed with ethanol gas it'll gobble up any moisture droplets remaining.

The convenience store and pipelines probably introduce as much water as condensation anyway.

I was planning on keeping it filled with gas and inside the fridge.

I hope the kids don't mistake it for Kool-Aid.
shocked2.gif

LOL.gif
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Rinse it out with water and let it dry. No magic procedure required.

My thought exactly don't go to extremes. Even if you didn't rinse it the coolant wouldn't hurt anything. After one refill it would be gone.

On a serious note...

I decided to rinse it out with water really well then leave it air dry.

That was yesterday... today the inside of the tank is dry and smells like coolant but that will quickly change when I dump the Kool-Aid... er gas in it.
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back