Cleaning out Dad's garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dad passed away a few years back and we never got around to cleaning out his shop/garage. This was due to family issues at the time. It's a 5 hour drive to get there and there was a lot of stuff to move so I did not take very many pictures. I'll get some more pics next trip. He had a few project vehicles and all that is left is the 1965 2dr Galaxie 500 and the 1959 Lincoln Continental 4dr. I did not get pics of those because they were still buried. There's a few sets of Ford FE heads, two blocks, one already machined, carbs, MSD distributor, tools everywhere, camping supplies, ect, Even a 1950s Johnson 18hp outboard. Also there was a lot of manuals. I'll be posting some of those soon. Here's some pics of a 331 Hemi that was laying around:

DSC02372.JPG

DSC02369.JPG

I gave my brother this truck years ago. He tore it apart because he wanted to paint it and there is sat. I've got to figure out what to do with it next. It has factory AC, a new motor, rebuilt the transmission, rebuilt the front suspension, new interior, and upgraded to front disc breaks before it was parked.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Would love to see a picture of the Galaxy; my Dad had a 1966 model.

I'll try to get some pics of the remaining two cars on the next trip. The Galaxy was maroon in color.

Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
I'll try to get some pics of the remaining two cars on the next trip. The Galaxy was maroon in color.
Wow...my Dad's was maroon with a black top (not vinyl--gloss black paint). I can remember it like it was yesterday. PS...what did you do with the outboard motor?

I realize the situation is a little different as you say your dad passed away a while ago, but I remember cleaning out my mother's stuff after she died while I was in college and it was an extremely somber time.
Mom had a bunch of stuff in the walk in closet in my room and my sister ran in there and grabbed some things right after we got back from the hospital...she would never tell me or our dad what it was, guess mom told her to hide or destroy it.
This was also when I figured out that I had a sister who died before I was born from little clues I dug up here and there, think mom and dad never were able to deal with that and she was never discussed. I only tried to discuss her with dad one time and he made it clear that she wasn't to be brought up again.

We didn't have space to leave extra cars around where I grew up, but my wife's family had a somewhat similar situation to the one described here at their former farm. Her dad had some giant sedan from the '60s sitting in a barn forever waiting to be fixed up and it was still there when he passed away and my BIL was the owner of the family home. We visited not long after my FIL died and I told my BIL that at least he could get the old heap out of the barn now...he got pretty mad at me and told me he was getting it running soon!
It hadn't moved in maybe 30 years and appeared to be rodent infested, but he is a really handy guy and I'm sure he will do it if he sets his mind to it.
They also had a classic Mustang that they just pushed down by a pond to rot after it stopped running...they told me it was just a V6 and nothing to be excited about. SOMEBODY would have liked restoring that car and maybe slapping a V8 in it, but it's not my property or decision...they are nice folks and it's been too long since we visited them last.

That truck looks pretty sweet, would be nice to see it on the road again!

Originally Posted by oldhp
That HEMI would look good under a 1" thick plexiglass table top. I wish I was closer.

Those old Hemi's are boat anchors at well over 725lbs. A Cadillac 500 cu-in weighs over 100 lbs less!

None the less, better to go a restorer of a fine 50's Chrysler than as a coffee table.

Think of all those grotesque '57 Chevy trunk love seats hacked together in the 70's and 80's that kept so many restored '57 off the road

Your dad was a cool guy. My advice is to try do what you can with some of the items and try part out the rest to some people who might have known your dad and had the same interests. My home made Pino Ramps and tool chest belonged to my friend who died many years ago and I really appreciate being given them by his wife.

Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
Wow...my Dad's was maroon with a black top (not vinyl--gloss black paint). I can remember it like it was yesterday. PS...what did you do with the outboard motor?

Nothing yet, We were going to try and sell it.

I can't remember if the Galaxy has a black top or not. It does have the bench seat though.

Last edited:
Some notes on the truck

The engine is a FE 390 bored .030 over. The bottom end was balanced and blueprinted, FE oil mods, ARP main studs, ARP rod bolts, TRW forged pistons, moly rings, chrome moly oil pump drive shaft, Clevite 77 bearings, Cloyes timing chain, Melling oil pump, and a relatively mild cam. The heads are Edelbrock, the intake is an Edelbrock Performer RPM, and I can't remember which carb I put on it at the time. The rocker arm shafts are full roller made by Sig Erson for the unique spacing of these heads. I can't remember who made the headers. The first set I got were made by H00 ker and I was blowing header gaskets. What I did not know was the exhaust port location of the GT/Edelbrock heads were different vs the truck heads. The headers on there now are made for the truck with those heads on it. Problem solved. The distributor is a Mallory Unilite with the MSD 6A and a MSD coil. It does get up and go!

Another issue I ran into was that the heater core blew on me. When I had it replaced the gentleman that did the repair said something about the heater hoses were molded and he could not find a replacement. The end result is that the heater hoses are now pinched and the heater is useless. What I found out was that Ford discontinued the hoses, but they offer a special two piece clamp that bends the existing hose to the correct shape. Looks like I will need to find some of these and pull the heater core again. The AC system was converted over to R134, but there is a leak somewhere so that will need fixing.

The front end was rebuilt and at the same time I installed a Master Power Brakes disc brake conversion. With that engine, manual drum brakes were not cutting it.

The Hemi I bought 30 years ago. It is basically brand new inside. I never got around to doing anything with it.

Wow....very cool stuff!

That Hemi would make a wicked powertrain for an 'early years' dragster replica!

BiL had that in a mint 55 Chrysler 300 … dual 4B carbs … Chrysler Fire Power Hemi !
He lost the car many years back in a poker game … it was auction quality …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back