Cleaning Lifters: Rotella T6, MMO, Seafoam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: it's now been 100 miles since I changed and the oil and wow! I never thought a 4.0 could ever possibly be this quiet! I ended up using 2.5 Qts Rotella 5w40, the rislone concentrate, and 3 Qts of pennzoil gold 5w30. I also cleaned my throttle body wich was pretty easy and I think that helped my idle as well.

Try a 1/3 of seafoam via brake booster vacuum hose and you will definitely be MORE IMPRESSED on how your jeep runs.

I haven't done a intake clean like it in a while but when I first did it years ago on my Cherokee with I don't remember what mileage it seemed like my engine was full of carbon deposits.

Try seafoam the way it has directed on the bottle.

Trust me.

Originally Posted By: jacky
duralube insta quiet just pour and go

NEVER,EVER use a duralube product in anything. If anything can be considered snake oil that stuff is certainly it.

Just stick with a good quality PCMO and filter and substitute 20% of your motor oil with MMO. And report back with your findings of course!
cool.gif

I am running 4 qts T6 and 2 qts Penn HM 5W30 in my Colorado 3.5 I-5. The start up noise from the OHC chain tensioner is minimal, and the engine runs very smooth and quietly. It is a great combo.

Originally Posted By: jbotelho15
Update: it's now been 100 miles since I changed and the oil and wow! I never thought a 4.0 could ever possibly be this quiet! I ended up using 2.5 Qts Rotella 5w40, the rislone concentrate, and 3 Qts of pennzoil gold 5w30. I also cleaned my throttle body wich was pretty easy and I think that helped my idle as well.

I was very satisfied with the results when I blended Rotella and PYB as well. Never UOA'd it but ran it at least twice, that was Rotella T3 dino and PYB 5w30.

I recall that was what actually turned me to PYB in the Jeep 4.0, cause it had always been kinda noisy on straight Rotella, but when I added the PYB it quieted down considerably. Tried straight PYB after that and WOW!

I was actually amazed that the addition of the Penn HM to the T6 quieted the chain tensioner even more that switch to T6 from GC 0W30 did.

Always going to make those ticking sounds. Mine has 241k and just recently changed oil and even though it has been running pretty quiet than some before I did a test. Now it has a slight taping sound to it. It's normal!!! It's a 4.0!

The tapping became a little more noticeable after I ran 7ozs of MMO IMthe oil 50 miles before this last oil change which was just wishin the last 2wks.

Your jeep has plenty of life in it if you change your oil regularly 3-4k miles, good oil filter with anti drain back capability and change your transmission oil and filter once every year or every other year for good preventative measure!!!

Scrolled up and saw I posted already on this topic. Just use a great quality oil and try a few tips you read about on hear from jeep owners and go from there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
Hello jbotelho15! According to our service manual, your 04 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 requires a 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil. We do not recommend our Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil for your Jeep. Most auto manufacturers have not recommended a 5W-40 oil for use in their engines for quite some time. This viscosity will not provide the fuel economy or oil flow for a vehicle that was designed to use an SAE 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil. Our Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil contains a higher level of zinc than the motor oil that goes in your engine. The zinc can possibly get into your exhaust system and cause ash deposits to stick to stick to the oxygen sensors and settle in the catalytic converter rendering them less effective over time.

Therefore, we recommend our Pennzoil High Mileage 5W-30 Motor Oil. It cleans out up to 40% of engine sludge in the 1st oil change, and continues to clean in the 2nd oil change. It helps prevent sludge and other damaging deposits in high mileage engine. Our Pennzoil High Mileage Motor Oil helps clean up high mileage engines by gently lifting sludge deposits off engine surfaces and dissolving them safely into the oil. Provides enhanced protection for worn engine parts. It also helps condition engine seals as well as help prevent engine leaks and oil burn-off.

Additionally, our service manuals states that your Mini Cooper requires an approved Mini Cooper high performance full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil. Our Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic Motor oil does not meet Mini’s requirements. Our Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W-30 with PurePlus Technology meets Mini Coopers specification. Hope this info is helpful. - The Pennzoil Team
So, T6 is rated "SM" for gas engine use, but has "too much" zinc? This guy should work for a politician.

I get tired of their responses sounding like a commercial.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Hello jbotelho15! According to our service manual, your 04 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 requires a 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil. We do not recommend our Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil for your Jeep. Most auto manufacturers have not recommended a 5W-40 oil for use in their engines for quite some time. This viscosity will not provide the fuel economy or oil flow for a vehicle that was designed to use an SAE 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil. Our Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil contains a higher level of zinc than the motor oil that goes in your engine. The zinc can possibly get into your exhaust system and cause ash deposits to stick to stick to the oxygen sensors and settle in the catalytic converter rendering them less effective over time.

Therefore, we recommend our Pennzoil High Mileage 5W-30 Motor Oil. It cleans out up to 40% of engine sludge in the 1st oil change, and continues to clean in the 2nd oil change. It helps prevent sludge and other damaging deposits in high mileage engine. Our Pennzoil High Mileage Motor Oil helps clean up high mileage engines by gently lifting sludge deposits off engine surfaces and dissolving them safely into the oil. Provides enhanced protection for worn engine parts. It also helps condition engine seals as well as help prevent engine leaks and oil burn-off.

Additionally, our service manuals states that your Mini Cooper requires an approved Mini Cooper high performance full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil. Our Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic Motor oil does not meet Mini’s requirements. Our Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W-30 with PurePlus Technology meets Mini Coopers specification. Hope this info is helpful. - The Pennzoil Team
So, T6 is rated "SM" for gas engine use, but has "too much" zinc? This guy should work for a politician.

Do a amsoil engine flush just to remove an crud that mine be in the engine, then add T6 with a can of LiquiMloy and in a few hundred miles it should less or be gone

I am not sure what Seafoam does look at its ingredients. Pour any light oil into the intake and there will be smoke.

Too much zinc? Why does zinc matter? Phos is what kills cats.

It saddens me that we have a rep here who knows nothing about the products they sell and just pushes the company policy without giving a moments thought to the application.
Gena
Rotella carries an api cert of SM,which means it's suitable for GASOLINE engines that call for this spec. So it's dual rated,and not just a diesel oil.
I suggest learning,really learning the intricacies of your products and the various applications they are suitable for. Just because the oem spec is narrow here in North America other markets get a range of oil grades based on ambient temps and duty cycle.
Our owners manuals have that deleted,however that doesn't mean those tables don't still apply.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I am not sure what Seafoam does look at its ingredients. Pour any light oil into the intake and there will be smoke.

How does pouring seafoam into the intake clean lifters? What does smoke have to do with anything.
Since you obviously don't use it you've got ABSOLUTELY NO EXPERIENCE WITH THE PRODUCT which renders your opinion useless,and your comment doesn't even apply.
I find it hilarious reading posts from guys who've never so much as tried something yet seem to be experts in its use.
This guy chirps about smoke when the op is asking about using it in his oil to clean lifters. He doesn't even realize how it's being applied,yet has an opinion.
Funny

Originally Posted By: Clevy

How does pouring seafoam into the intake clean lifters? What does smoke have to do with anything.
Since you obviously don't use it you've got ABSOLUTELY NO EXPERIENCE WITH THE PRODUCT which renders your opinion useless,and your comment doesn't even apply.
I find it hilarious reading posts from guys who've never so much as tried something yet seem to be experts in its use.
This guy chirps about smoke when the op is asking about using it in his oil to clean lifters. He doesn't even realize how it's being applied,yet has an opinion.
Funny
Tell me what is in Seafoam that does anything? Other than cause smoke when fed into the intake. It is the snake oil of snake oils . the K@N air filter of air filters.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Funny
Tell me what is in Seafoam that does anything? Other than cause smoke when fed into the intake. It is the snake oil of snake oils . the K@N air filter of air filters.

Pardon...

K&N Cold Air Intake [air filters] are good. I have one in my F-150. I know that they don't filter as fine of particles, but I don't run extended OCI's anyway. I just know that I did gain a little power. Maybe 5 or 10 horsepower doesn't seem like much to you, but a cold air intake uses more air, and thus a little less gas, so it slightly improves gas mileage.

Please, don't compare apples and oranges.

---

I don't know much about Seafoam, tbh. But I just wonder how it compares to STP Multipurpose Treatmeant, and Berryman B12 Chemtool. They all are in similar bottles, but I know they must have different chemistries.

Does anyone have any experience with either of those 2 other ones?

~ Triton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back