Cleaning Lifters: Rotella T6, MMO, Seafoam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 04 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 with 120k. It has the infamous lifter chatter. My very first oil change 2 years ago (I put on only 3k a year so my OCI is typically once a year maybe twice) was done by someone else who used 10w40 (He said it was Mobil 1 synthetic but idk) and a fram orange can. It made the chatter much worse sounding like a school bus. I know the orange cans are hated and probably for a good reason, I also know most Jeeps don't like Mobil 1 and my girlfriend's MINI which is fairly quiet sounded like an angry sewing machine with Mobil 1 in the past also (The Mini initially got some Lucas on top of the Mobil 1, it did get quieter BUT now has a thick coating of "peanut butter" under the oil cap, I realized the Lucas only thickened the oil and made the engine dirtier. The MINI is now happy with just Rotella T6) I now just to stick to "cleaning" additives and avoid anything with other claims.

My Last Oil Change on the Jeep:
K&N Oil filter and Defy 10w30. The lifter noise got MUCH better but still had significant chatter at cold start up. When the colder weather came (below freezing) I drained a quart of oil out and replaced with MMO and again the Lifter chatter got better but once fully warmed up she'll get a rough idle at/below 1000 rpm (already done a tune up with new filters, plugs, etc)

Because of my frequent short trip driving I think the Jeep prefers thinner oil but once fully warm I think it might be too thin or maybe some seafoam in the vac line will do the trick?
I haven't pulled the valve cover off or anything but I suspect the engine is dirty. I know the previous owner put the last 90k+ on it and used nothing but the cheap bulk oil and filters at one of his local shops. My short trip driving may also aid in this issue.

Before my next oil change:
Bought some Seafoam after hearing good things and watching all the smoke shows. I'm curious too see if a few sips through the vac line will help with the low RPM hesitation or if that issue was due to thin oil at warm up? I also wanted to know if it is okay to pour half the can in the crank case prior to my next oil change even though there is already some mmo in there? It would only be for a hundred miles or less.

Plans for next oil change:
Royal Purple oil filter (The K&N is a fine filter but wanted to try RP) Rotella T6 5w40 (I know its thicker at cold start up but wanted to try a HDEO for extra cleaning and the MINI loves this stuff) and if I can find mmo at my walmart (theyre ussually out of stock) i'll put a quart of that for easier starting and more cleaning.

I've also heard of the Auto RX on here but wanted to avoid the hassle of ordering online and its pricey stuff

I'd try a HM oil like Defy with a fram TG filter, or try adding bottle of Rislone concentrate at next change and leave for whole oci.

Originally Posted By: SLATRON
I'd try a HM oil like Defy with a fram TG filter, or try adding bottle of Rislone concentrate at next change and leave for whole oci.

This ^^^^^ did several Chrysler mini vans this way.

Jeep 4.0s are known for lifter clatter. Mine has done it pretty much since I bought it 6 years ago. I've tried everything, MMO, Seafoam, Rislone, Mobil 1, Rotella T6, you name it. None of them worked. The MMO worked a little, but the noise came and went.

The best solution I have found so far is Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 10w30. It is by far the quietest running oil I have run in a 4.0 due to the higher moly content. I now run it in 3 other 4.0 engines that I service with the same result. Might be worth giving it a try.
thumbsup2.gif

My work Cherokee 4.0L has had lifter noise for the last 15 years.

I've found ignoring it works.

But T5 10W-30 and PYB would be good choices to clean and possibly quiet it down.

For cleaning lifters, I like to put Rislone oil treatment in place of one quart and run it for a whole interval.

Go with a heavier weight and add MMO or Riselone. I would also add a 5minute motor flush every oil change. Problem should be remediated within 2-3 OCIs or less.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Go with a heavier weight and add MMO or Riselone. I would also add a 5minute motor flush every oil change. Problem should be remediated within 2-3 OCIs or less.

And that is assuming it is not an engine design situation.

Nothing will cure it if it is an engine design situation.

I see two different Rislone treatments online, the concentrate (16 oz) and the treatment (1 quart). Not sure which one is best to try. As for PYB it seems very interesting definitely a new oil in my book, I never thought a conventional could be that good might be a good mix with Rotella T6 as well.

Originally Posted By: jbotelho15
I see two different Rislone treatments online, the concentrate (16 oz) and the treatment (1 quart). Not sure which one is best to try. As for PYB it seems very interesting definitely a new oil in my book, I never thought a conventional could be that good might be a good mix with Rotella T6 as well.

They are the same product so it doesn't matter. It is just a concentration difference. The concentrate would be better (IMO) for smaller pumps so you displace less formulated oil.

I think I am going to try a 50/50 Mix of Rotella T6 5w40 and PYB 5w30 which should blend well since both are SOPUS products. After analyzing the 2 VOA's a 50/50 mix (average) should look something like this (balanced add pack),

Moly: 164
Boron: 89
Calcium: 1621
Magnesium: 596
Phosphorus: 937
Zinc: 1066
TBN: 9.4

On top of that I'll add the Rislone concentrate for extra cleaning and use my Royal Purple (synthetic media) filter.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: SLATRON

This ^^^^^ did several Chrysler mini vans this way.

What did you do this way? The HM oil with a TG filter or the Rislone concentrate for the whole OCI?

When trying to solve my lifter tick issue, I was introduced to B-12 and restore oil additive. Nothing else worked, a quick run on B-12 in the oil, and then use of Restore has stopped the tick and it hasnt returned.

Lots of 4.0 folks use it to quiet the lifters.

I have run blends of PYB and Rotella on several occasions and was very happy with the result, they are however completely different oils.

They were out of stock in 5w30 PYB so I got the Gold instead. I cant find a voa anywhere but I'm hoping its close to PYB in additives. The gold says it contains at least 50% synthetic, I'm guessing this might just be PYB mixed with PP especially since Pennzoil's website says Gold contains some "Pure Plus" technology which is what Ultra and Platinum is.

Anyway I am going to try a blend of Pennzoil Gold 5w30 with Rotella T6 5w40 and throw in the rislone concentrate to see what I come out with.

Hello jbotelho15! According to our service manual, your 04 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 requires a 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil. We do not recommend our Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil for your Jeep. Most auto manufacturers have not recommended a 5W-40 oil for use in their engines for quite some time. This viscosity will not provide the fuel economy or oil flow for a vehicle that was designed to use an SAE 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil. Our Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil contains a higher level of zinc than the motor oil that goes in your engine. The zinc can possibly get into your exhaust system and cause ash deposits to stick to stick to the oxygen sensors and settle in the catalytic converter rendering them less effective over time.

Therefore, we recommend our Pennzoil High Mileage 5W-30 Motor Oil. It cleans out up to 40% of engine sludge in the 1st oil change, and continues to clean in the 2nd oil change. It helps prevent sludge and other damaging deposits in high mileage engine. Our Pennzoil High Mileage Motor Oil helps clean up high mileage engines by gently lifting sludge deposits off engine surfaces and dissolving them safely into the oil. Provides enhanced protection for worn engine parts. It also helps condition engine seals as well as help prevent engine leaks and oil burn-off.

Additionally, our service manuals states that your Mini Cooper requires an approved Mini Cooper high performance full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil. Our Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic Motor oil does not meet Mini’s requirements. Our Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W-30 with PurePlus Technology meets Mini Coopers specification. Hope this info is helpful. - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
Hello jbotelho15! According to our service manual, your 04 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 requires a 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil. We do not recommend our Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil for your Jeep. Most auto manufacturers have not recommended a 5W-40 oil for use in their engines for quite some time. This viscosity will not provide the fuel economy or oil flow for a vehicle that was designed to use an SAE 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil. Our Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil contains a higher level of zinc than the motor oil that goes in your engine. The zinc can possibly get into your exhaust system and cause ash deposits to stick to stick to the oxygen sensors and settle in the catalytic converter rendering them less effective over time.

Therefore, we recommend our Pennzoil High Mileage 5W-30 Motor Oil. It cleans out up to 40% of engine sludge in the 1st oil change, and continues to clean in the 2nd oil change. It helps prevent sludge and other damaging deposits in high mileage engine. Our Pennzoil High Mileage Motor Oil helps clean up high mileage engines by gently lifting sludge deposits off engine surfaces and dissolving them safely into the oil. Provides enhanced protection for worn engine parts. It also helps condition engine seals as well as help prevent engine leaks and oil burn-off.

Additionally, our service manuals states that your Mini Cooper requires an approved Mini Cooper high performance full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil. Our Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic Motor oil does not meet Mini’s requirements. Our Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W-30 with PurePlus Technology meets Mini Coopers specification. Hope this info is helpful. - The Pennzoil Team

Thank you for the reply I have already changed the oil however I will consider Pennzoil High Mileage next time, my only concern is although my Jeep did kind of like Defy my dad's older durango I also used defy and it caused the engine to leak. Perhaps the oil swellers are less abrasive in Pennzoil high mileage? I don't know and my jeep has zero leaks now (and 120,000 miles) I'm just concerned if it's a possibility. As for the mini I would love to give the Pennzoil Euro a try however my local walmart does not carry it they only have the regular platinum, gold, and yellow. I have tried Mobil 1's Euro 0w40 which is a listed recommended oil but it made the engine ridiculously loud. The mini has 135,000 miles and also does not leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back