Cleaning and Polishing Aluminum On a 1972 Norton.....

My friend has a 1972 Norton that has been sitting in his garage for the past thirty years.

He’s decided to get the bike up and running and cleaning and polishing the wheels and aluminum engine parts is part of that process.

The question is: what product(s) and methods would one use to properly clean and polish those parts?

Autogeek has a couple dozen aluminum polishes but none that I’ve had experience with.

Thoughts?

Use the buffing kit from Eastwood followed by a hand polish with Simichrome and Cape Cod cloths.

Yep!

That appears to be exactly what he needs for this project.

Thanks, Trav.

I have a '75 Commando 850 Mk III and have used Simichrome on it lots of times. It works great but takes copious amounts of buffing.

I've used both SemiChrome and Mother's "Mag and Aluminum Polish". Both very similar and both worked good for me.

Wow, what a great project! I am really jealous. Have fun with it.

Thanks, Jeff, but it’s not my project, it’s my buddy’s bike and project.

He simply asked me for advice since I know a tiny bit about automotive paint detailing. However, knowing nada about cleaning and polishing aluminum motorcycle parts, I turned to those who would likely know.

Now, seeing as how he’s a solid home brewer, if he asks me to come over and help him, I’m certain I can think of a remuneration that would make it worthwhile.....

A lot of the Japanese bikes that had polished engine side cases had a clear coating over the polished aluminum, so polishing them wouldn't work unless the clear coat was stripped off. Don't know about a 1972 Norton .... probably doesn't have clear coated aluminum parts would be me guess. He'll find out easy enough.

Norton used a lot of stainless also in some years, IIRC the 850 had quite a bit of SS. None AFAIK had clear coat over any polished metal parts.

Keep in mind that old aluminum often has sufficient imperfections that polishing results in a goofy looking surface. From corrosion pitting, to casting imperfections and years of scratches. My best guess is that it won't look as good as he had hoped, unless a huge restoration effort is undertaken.

I've done this many times and sometimes it's worth the effort to pull the parts off and work them on the bench. Using tools like a pedestal buffer. Might even want to sand it smooth first with ever finer papers. But be aware that getting out sandpaper scratches is a time consuming affair.

most products REQUIRE a LOT of elbow grease depending on the quality + condition of the metal! has a set of super quality billet alum Budnik wheels on my 72 olds, looked like chrome from new + easily stayed that way!!! love those old Nortons

My 76 Norton did not have a clear coat and I worked my butt off...happily in those days...keeping it polished. About as much time as well trying to keep the valve covers from leaking. Still, with that Isolastic suspension, it was a smooth ride.

Back