Cleaning an oil leak from the driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after oil spilling out all over the place when I unscrewed the oil filter on one of my vehicles I think I'll put down litter before the oil change next go around. That way whatever spills down will drop onto the litter and wont stain the concrete.

That's what cardboard is for, leftlane
grin2.gif
I should practice what I preach though, I spilled all over the place taking off the oil filter on my mom's Malibu today. It completely missed the drain pan and the cardboard, all over the garage floor. I was trying an alternative angle to taking off the filter and wasn't sure where the oil would land. D'oh!

Go to your local hardware store and get a bottle of muratic acid. Wet the concrete first. Mix the acid 50/50 with water and brush on the oil spot. Watch it bubble a few minutes and rinse completely with water. Note: Muratic acid is nasty stuff. Rubber gloves & eye protection along with long sleeves & slacks are a must. You can actually etch concrete with this acid so if you are using it on a steel troweled garage floor then mix 1/3 acid to 2/3 water. Do not use in direct sunlight and do not let the acid dry on the concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back