Cleaning Ability Between SN Rated Oils ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennzoil Platinum is noted for it's cleaning ability while QS QSUD bills itself as having superior protection . If both are SN rated oils - how different can their respective cleaning abilities be ? I would think any SN rated oil nowadays has got to have outstanding cleaning ability .

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Marketing?? I'm just guessing though.

Exactly.

Unless the product brochure/website shows hard-facts about how much better it is, and what it is better than...it's just advertising lingo.

API SN sets minimums -- it's possible that some are far exceeding that but unless they divulge the specifics, you won't know.

Last edited:
PU/PP do clean better than other name brand. In my case, I see oil get dark after 2k miles, don't change it out yet, their TBN is above 10 and last least10k miles. But for engine protection, there other choices. PYB, M1, Castrol Edge, Valvoline Synthetic/Maxlife, Motorcraft blend, QSUD. I would do one cycle of PP/PU and 2 to 3 rounds of any syn/dino on sale and do PP/PU again

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Maxima97
PU/PP do clean better than other name brand. In my case, I see oil get dark after 2k miles, don't change it out yet, their TBN is above 10 and last least10k miles. But for engine protection, there other choices. PYB, M1, Castrol Edge, Valvoline Synthetic/Maxlife, Motorcraft blend, QSUD. I would do one cycle of PP/PU and 2 to 3 rounds of any syn/dino on sale and do PP/PU again

This is a misnomer. The oil becoming dark DOES NOT equate with "dirt". It is the active ingredients being heated in the engine that creates this darker color.

Originally Posted By: 91344George

This is a misnomer. The oil becoming dark DOES NOT equate with "dirt". It is the active ingredients being heated in the engine that creates this darker color.

So would it be fair to say that an engine that turns the oil dark has higher oil temps as compared to one that does not?

For example, I use PU in most of my vehicles, my ecoboost turns the oil very dark and my 5.4 the oil looks clean. So could oil darkness be used as a general indicator of higher oil temps in the ecoboost? Both trucks are driven similarly.

Last edited:
I look into cam cover when I change the timing belt myself before and after using PU. My Camry is one of Yota's sludge maker and leave a heat up leftover when I first open the cover. Now they are gone and the only left the brownish coating which I don't think any oil will clean them up. The PP/PU do clear the engine better than other and that's the selling point of their product. The PP/PU are Group 3 "Synthetic" Dino oil with a lot clean agents added. How this will prolong my engine life, I don't know. The engine will outlast other part of the vehicle. So do once a while PP/PU and use whatever name brand oil cheap (like Costco 1.99 Chevron). Pricewise, you can find PP 5Qt for 18.75 and PU for 22 in Walton's Market.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BeerCan
Originally Posted By: 91344George

So would it be fair to say that an engine that turns the oil dark has higher oil temps as compared to one that does not?

For example, I use PU in most of my vehicles, my ecoboost turns the oil very dark and my 5.4 the oil looks clean. So could oil darkness be used as a general indicator of higher oil temps in the ecoboost? Both trucks are driven similarly.

+1 Id like to know the answer to this as well!

MobileOne also have good clean capabiility. Usually I dump out Kendal Blend at 3-4k and still show amber color. On the same car MobileOne show very dark after 5k and I regret dump it because it is very black. Shout let it stay till 10k. For dino, I let it stay for 5k now. Doesn't mean clean engine will last longer then vanish coated one. It makes me feels better every time you open the valve cover to see shining metal

PPM of Calcium(~2000ppm) is what I look for in a motor oil. Other than Calcium, what are the other cleaners in a PCMO? What should I be looking for?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
PPM of Calcium(~2000ppm) is what I look for in a motor oil. Other than Calcium, what are the other cleaners in a PCMO? What should I be looking for?

Valvoline uses reduced Calcium but adds a nice shot of Sodium as a cleaner instead.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Valvoline uses reduced Calcium but adds a nice shot of Sodium as a cleaner instead.

The Synpower, or White bottle?

The currently used metallic-based detergents are calcium, magnesium, and sodium.

Dispersants are also a very important additive for cleanliness and they are not metallic-based so you can't detect them in a UOA. Their concentration and/or type has been increased as sulfated ash limits have dropped as newer oil specs. have been developed.

It's also important to delay the onset of oil breakdown, which contributes to deposits, by making it more resistant to chemical attack by oxidation, nitration, sulfation, etc. So base oil type and antioxidants choice factor into that.

Some additives turn the oil more dark than others when the oil is heated. This does NOT mean the oil is more degraded. This is in the absence of any deposits in contact with the oil. So in an engine, if one oil gets darker than another and nothing else is known, it is uncertain how much is due to the additive package darkening the oil and how much is from cleaning the engine.

Originally Posted By: JAG
The currently used metallic-based detergents are calcium, magnesium, and sodium.

Dispersants are also a very important additive for cleanliness and they are not metallic-based so you can't detect them in a UOA. Their concentration and/or type has been increased as sulfated ash limits have dropped as newer oil specs. have been developed.

It's also important to delay the onset of oil breakdown, which contributes to deposits, by making it more resistant to chemical attack by oxidation, nitration, sulfation, etc. So base oil type and antioxidants choice factor into that.

Some additives turn the oil more dark than others when the oil is heated. This does NOT mean the oil is more degraded. This is in the absence of any deposits in contact with the oil. So in an engine, if one oil gets darker than another and nothing else is known, it is uncertain how much is due to the additive package darkening the oil and how much is from cleaning the engine.

Well said.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

The Synpower, or White bottle?

All of them I think. Maxlife going in the Jeep next. Best UOA I've seen yet for the Jeep 4.0 was on Maxlife.

Good stuff JAG. Thank you. Figures, too.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back