Cleanest way to extract filter media & center tube, from filter can

First time oil filter cutter here. I am on the verge of pulling out the filter media & center tube, but the can was so crushed in the attempt to get it off the engine block that the can has compressed around the filter media.

Just inherited the camry in my sig, first oil change I've done on it, this filter was on tight. My fram plyers couldn't pry it off, a filter wrench from AZ did the trick. But unfortunately, as you can see from the pics, my attempts to use the plyers compressed the can and now the center tube (with the filter media) won't come out.

My first thought is to clean off a screwdriver, and then jimmy it in between the media & the can, and just pry it loose. Are there any better suggestions?

One issue I have here is that even though the filter has been on an unknown number of miles, I really wanted to look at the media to see if there was any sludge/crud/deposits. So I'm hoping to extract it without damaging it too much. FWIW, the engine itself runs fine, doesn't overheat, no leaks, no crud on dipstick at all.

20210123_121618.jpg20210123_121623.jpg

IMO your screw driver trick might help, you are probably going to end up cutting the can as above.

It probable the media has already been damaged by the removal so mark the end cap so you can reference the area.

So I can compare what part of the filter media was just inside what part of the outer can?

IMO your screw driver trick might help, you are probably going to end up cutting the can as above.

It probable the media has already been damaged by the removal so mark the end cap so you can reference the area.

So I can compare what part of the filter media was just inside what part of the outer can?

Yes, clean the metal end cap and use a sharpie or something to mark it. Perhaps even take a picture to reference back to, so you know that an anomaly in that are could have been caused by the oil filter pliers / wrench...

If you don't have tin snips, use a hacksaw to cut it long ways, then peal the can off the cartridge.

First time oil filter cutter here. I am on the verge of pulling out the filter media & center tube, but the can was so crushed in the attempt to get it off the engine block that the can has compressed around the filter media.

Just inherited the camry in my sig, first oil change I've done on it, this filter was on tight. My fram plyers couldn't pry it off, a filter wrench from AZ did the trick. But unfortunately, as you can see from the pics, my attempts to use the plyers compressed the can and now the center tube (with the filter media) won't come out.

My first thought is to clean off a screwdriver, and then jimmy it in between the media & the can, and just pry it loose. Are there any better suggestions?

One issue I have here is that even though the filter has been on an unknown number of miles, I really wanted to look at the media to see if there was any sludge/crud/deposits. So I'm hoping to extract it without damaging it too much. FWIW, the engine itself runs fine, doesn't overheat, no leaks, no crud on dipstick at all.

View attachment 42097View attachment 42098
Your way is fine. Do NOT use tin snips also

You could mail me your filters as I’ll cut and post them free

Thanks for the offer. You did a Napa Gold for me one time. This was supposed to be an educational experience for me, as well as let me know if there is mega sludge in my new to me car, so I will keep at this like Wile E Coyote, always going back to the drawing board, hopefully with more success.

Your way is fine. Do NOT use tin snips also

You could mail me your filters as I’ll cut and post them free

Success!
I used the hacksaw as Z06 suggested, going down the length of the filter. Then, it was easy to use snips to peel it back until the media plus center tube emerged.

Thanks for your suggestions. Pics in a few mins.

Back