clean cyl head - 02 dodge 2.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced the water pump (inside the timing cover) and the timing set. looks pretty clean in there! especially for a "sludger"!

2002 106k miles. Amsoil SSO its entire life

I think you may be cheating by changing your oil. If you're going to participate in the sludge program you have to stop it with those routine oil changes and that good oil. You've got to use the stuff out of the big barrel at the quick change oil places and skip a change every now and then. Oh, and don't forget to use a "white-box" oil filter, too.

I had an 04 intrepid that I bought new and used pennzoil gold every oil change. It started knocking at 106,000.

Nice!! Another Amsoil + sludger = Clean.

What is your OCI?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I think you may be cheating by changing your oil. If you're going to participate in the sludge program you have to stop it with those routine oil changes and that good oil. You've got to use the stuff out of the big barrel at the quick change oil places and skip a change every now and then. Oh, and don't forget to use a "white-box" oil filter, too.

lol!!!
a leading consumer magazine listed this engine as a sludger, and even amsoil recommends (or at least they used to) that you skip the extended OCI and follow the owner's manual. certainly DC added a PCV heater in the 02, but problems continued - although you would not know it from my engine! with the new water pump and timing set, it's good for another easy 100k.

Amsoil SSO - worth every penny, IMHO

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Nice!! Another Amsoil + sludger = Clean.

What is your OCI?

I originally started out with 10k OCI's and then got scared by all of the hype and resorted to 5-7k OCI's. I see no reason why I cant bump that back up to 10k after seeing the inside. and while the timing chain had stretched approx. 1.5" (the chain is 180 links, it must be 8-10 feet long) the chain guides, which appear to by nylon or some type of plastic, had extremely little wear: I could see a line but could not feel it with my fingernail in most places

Wow...very nice...
thumbsup2.gif

Never knew a high milage Chrysler 2.7 could look so clean.

Yea looks clean, but since this is BITOG I feel the need to find something wrong and say those cam lobes look scuffed as heck.

Last edited:
I have a 2002 Stratus with the 2.7. It has 94K miles on it. Looking in the oil fill hole it looks like new. I brought it in to my mechanic for a new water pump and timing chain (94K from a Dodge water pump is plenty). It ran perfectly and had no leaks of any kind. Been a good car. Details on how the job went when it is complete.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Yea looks clean, but since this is BITOG I feel the need to find something wrong and say those cam lobes look scuffed as heck.

Lol that was the first thing I noticed. Its still a good looking engine tho. On second glance they just looked polished.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Originally Posted By: bvance554

Lol that was the first thing I noticed. Its still a good looking engine tho. On second glance they just looked polished.

I agree since this is BITOG I too would like to say that is VERY scuffed! OMG!

lol

Isn't the sludge problem caused by the internal water pump leaking and not lack of oil changes?

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Wow...very nice...
thumbsup2.gif

Never knew a high milage Chrysler 2.7 could look so clean.

Never knew a high mileage Chrysler 2.7, period! Kidding, mostly.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
There are no sludge problem engines theses days. There are good engine, great engines, and people who do not keep up on maintiance.

Indeed.

We had a Magnum with a 2.7 that we sold to a friend way back in 06. He still has it. Over 175k miles and still running great.

That engine has to work HARD to haul that full size wagon around, and it's doing just fine. Just changed the oil in it for him a month ago and it has no leaks or noises yet...

Last edited:
I just want people to know that the 2.7L is only a sludge prone engine because of neglect and a poor water pump design.

When the waterpump "seal" fails it leaks coolant into the crankcase.

No symptoms other than slow coolant loss.

It's easily catch-able, people just don't care because it's a Daimler era Chrysler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back