Clean after every shoot?

went shooting the other day but only shot about 30 rounds through my Glock 40S&W. Do you guys clean after every shoot or based on # of rounds fired?

went shooting the other day but only shot about 30 rounds through my Glock 40S&W. Do you guys clean after every shoot or based on # of rounds fired?
I clean after every shooting regardless,

I clean my precision rifles and higher end pistols after every shooting session as well as my EDC. My "utility" pistols are cleaned every 3rd or 4th outing, but I reload my own ammunition and use very clean burning powders so there is not a large amount of carbon to clean away.

My carry gun gets cleaned each use , My range guns get cleaned when they refuse to function,.

If I was shooting a couple days in a row I would clean it after I was done. Most of my shooting is weeks or months between shooting and I would not want those corrosive things sitting in the barrel that long. Even if I only shot a few rounds.

Depends on circumstances. I like to get any gun I’ve fired wet with solvent the same day.

Actual cleaning I might delay a couple weeks. By that time the solvent has mostly loosened all the fouling and it just wipes off.

BSW

I lube often but clean infrequently. On AR15s this has worked out well for me because it makes the action incredibly smooth and more reliable. If times were different, I'd be burning through a thousand rounds in each AR I own before cleaning it, as this was once my standard break-in method.

Cleaning means different things in different scenarios

Personally, I clean after every "hunting trip" because of the dirt, plant matter, moisture and so forth that "could potentially" be there.

Range fire- ( excluding a wipe down which I personally don't call a cleaning) every few hundred rounds

Really depends on the weapon and use

Glocks will run dirty as hell , as well they should . I wipe mine down before leaving the range and clean every three or four outtings .

I cleanmine every time they’re fired. That way I know they’re good. Some of them are going back in the safe for a while, years, perhaps, and I want them clean when they do. Particularly the bore, but I also want all the fingerprints gone, all the dirt gone, etc and a nice coat of appropriate lubricant/preservative in place.

Last time I shot my H&R Garand was probably 4 years ago. My 1884 Springfield, longer than that. I just cleaned the Springfield last month, put a coat of paste wax (Renaissance Wax) on the stock and exterior.

*Let me caveat that. I’ll clean the bore and wipe down an M1 that’s been to the range. I don’t field strip it every time. Unlocking the action, and locking back in compresses the wood a tiny bit, and will eventually loosen the action/stock fit, degrading accuracy. The Garand’s gas piston is self cleaning. It also keeps the action clean by keeping the gas out of it. A few hundred rounds through one, and the grease is still good, with a few very tiny slivers of brass dust embedded. No real need to clean that up.

Since it’s a Glock I decided to run a wet patch through the barrel and then just wipe down the frame with a light oil and put a drop of oil on each frame rail and then put it back in storage. Thanks for the advice

Went to the range last week and shot a Glock, 1911 and a Henry 45-70 (first time shooting). I shot approx 20 rounds from the Glock only to sight in aftermarket sights. Did not clean it this time out after shooting though it did get a thorough cleaning last time out.

The Henry shot about 20 rounds out just to get the sights dialed in since, as I said, it was the first time shooting it. I shot three different loads from mild (Hornady Sub-Sonic) to a little wilder (Hornady LEVERevolution 325 gr). I ran a bore snake through it but did nothing else since it was so few rounds. Side note: Accuracy from the LEVERevoluton was impressive.

Both the Glock and Henry will be heading back out to the range next week for more exercise so they will both get cleaned after.

The 1911 had about 75 rounds go downrange and I did not clean it due to me qualifying with it this past Monday. After my qual it got a thorough cleaning.

EDIT: Forgot to add that there is something about cleaning a 1911 that is just outright pleasurable. More so than anything else I’ve owned/shot. To the point of relaxation.

Last edited:
If I was shooting a couple days in a row I would clean it after I was done. Most of my shooting is weeks or months between shooting and I would not want those corrosive things sitting in the barrel that long. Even if I only shot a few rounds.
+1

I clean to prevent corrosion. This typically means lube stuff, and punch the bore. This is with rifles/shotguns. With a pistol, I am even less concerned. Now, detail cleans (if the weapon is to sit more than a few days), I will wipe everything down with microfiber/lube. That cleans it very well, and proofs against corrosion. I just use a boresnake on my barrels. I've cleaned my M4 type rifles like that for years. My last one had over 5K rounds on it, only seeing a boresnake. It still shot 1-1.25moa 10 shot groups at 100 with a 4 power scope just fine. Chrome lined, gov profile, probably was about as good as it would ever do no-matter what with me behind it.

The military in the past has bred a bunch of "over cleaners" who do more damage cleaning than they realize, in my opinion, but at the tip of the spear, that is starting to change for the better, and people are being more common sense about it and not scrubbing the DFL out of their uppers and other nonsense anymore.

Since it’s a Glock I decided to run a wet patch through the barrel and then just wipe down the frame with a light oil and put a drop of oil on each frame rail and then put it back in storage. Thanks for the advice
Very sensible, as long as "in storage" is not a pistol case or other case. Cases cause rust, IME. Also, lube the locking lugs of the barrel. With glocks, I just put some CLP on a microfiber, field strip them, wipe all the things, and reassemble, and snake the barrel/bore. It takes a minute or two and has served me well.

Good gunmen clean their weapons after each use.

Back