Classic Safety Razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at Wally World yesterday looking for a replacement shave brush as mine has lost a few hairs.

Saw the Rick Harrison Advertised Shavers for sale there.

https://www.onerazor.com/?mid=5153803

What say you? Good shavers? Good buy?

I have not shaved with these style razors since the mid 1970's when i started out shaving with my dad's shaver and I don't remember what these are like any more....

I think for just a little more you could buy a Merkur or edwin jagger which are really high quality.

I don't know, I shave with a 1953 Gillette fatboy that would also probably not cost much more than this on ebay.

I would not purchase one of those.

If you're going to shave with a double edge razor, do yourself a favor and invest in a quality razor. You'll be much happier with the results and they don't cost much more than the made in china, as seen on tv infomercial example in your link.

For decades I have been using Gillette's latest razors and spending a lot of money on replacement blades. A couple years ago I bought a classic Gillette safety razor from the early 1950s and a box of high quality Feather razor blades, thinking I could go "retro" and save a few bucks. I tried shaving a few times with the old Gillette but had nothing but trouble using that old razor; getting lots of nicks on my neck and having trouble shaving closely under my nose. Now I have a better appreciation for the modern Gillette razors.

thanks i appreciate the feed back,

so let me ask, as i really don't have any experience with these type razors.

what's in the handle?

Seems like what i'm gathering so far is that the blades are the most critical piece of the set.

let me know your thoughts,,thanks

Last edited:
I have been considering going to a double-edged razor as well.

My understanding is there is a screw in the handle that activates the flaps that hold down the blade so it doesn't vibrate as it hits the beard.

yes sir, the handle at the bottom has the mechanism that opens the flaps so that new blades can be loaded in. i remember that when I briefly used my pops back in the 70's.

shortly after that i went to the disposables and have been using them ever since. consequently i really don't have any experience as far as the shaving goes with that, because 40' years is a long time LOL

any way my thoughts on the handle is that it really does not play that much of a role in the process, there fore the question on what's in the handle.

I have seen where several members have used the old handles from the 50's and so to me it would seem that everything is in the blades them selves. So i put it out for further discussion because the one razor that Rick advertises is chrome plated and the merkurs are also chrome plated...

I going to keep using my Gillette Twin Track as long as I can find OEM blades for it. You can cut the [censored] out of yourself using one of those old double edged razors.Never liked them.

I too got tired of spending a small fortune for razor blades and decided to go the old safety razor route. I purchased a restored 50 year old Gillette safety razor from a guy that specializes in collecting and restoring them and razor blades can be had for cheap. I figured if it was good enough for gramps, its good enough for me. Boy was I wrong.

After about 2 months I couldn't take it anymore. With each pass, no matter at what angle I held the razor, it felt like it was pulling my whiskers out rather then shaving them. I even tried different brands of razor blades. Shaving with that thing was just a pain in the a$$.

I went back to buying the Gillette Mach 5 razors for awhile, but then I discovered Dollar Shave Club. Not to sound like a salesman here, but if you like using modern razors but hate how much they cost, then check these guys out!

Yes, there is a certain risk/reward ratio with these DE razors. You can surely cut yourself quite effectively with them. Different brands, types, and even models within brands and types can vary the angle of the blade and produce shaves of various "aggressiveness." There are vintage Gillettes that are adjustable as well as new Merkur adjustables (expensive). I picked up a Merkur 34C around 1996 and have been using it ever since. I did suspend its use and used a Sensor Excel for a while. Still, the element of risk, the simplicity of the device, and the quest to find the "perfect" blade make the DE razor fun for me so I returned to it. I know, fun with shaving? Weird, right? Since I still have acne prone skin at the ripe age of 49 I have found that a single pass shave with a DE razor actually gives me the right level of closeness to prevent zits and ingrown hairs.

YMMV, but I also recommend spending more money. If you don't like it you will be able to sell it on eBay without losing too much money. If you do like it, a good one can last you a lifetime and save a ton of money compared to cartridge razors.

Think of it as being akin to those who prefer manual transmissions over automatics.

Never had a problem with disposables, but I must have the right facial hair or something. I shave maybe 2x a week, only after a hot shower, no shaving cream (although it's nice to use it's still a nuisance). I usually use the blade until I get razor burn. Come summer I'll have to mark the blades but I want to say I get a couple months out of a Mach5. [I usually can't wait for the stupid aloe strip to wear out, not sure what it's for.]

DB:

cool, i'll see if I can find my dad's old handle when I'm in texas over the holidays, doubtful but you never know....

Last edited:
The Walmart brands is just a cheap re-branded razer off amazon.

You can buy a lot better for a little more.

Also the blades are a lot cheaper online.

I personally like Astra Platinum and Persona Blue

Both $11 for 100 blades last time I bought some.

I'm a DE razor user. I have a beard now, I still use it on my cheeks and my neck. You won't get a better shave for a better price. Here is the the thing: modern cartridge razors are designed so that any half-awake knuckle-head can shave without slitting their throats. While the DE razors take some technique, they will return better results.

Do yourself a favor and buy a Merkur or Parker DE and use a good shave soap, like Taylor of Old Bond St.

Some of the older Gillette and some new Merkur razors are adjustable and vary the amount of blade exposed. This IMO is worth the added expense. Also plan to buy a couple different brands of blades as they vary between sharp and smooth. Sharper isn't always better depending on your beard and handle.

I feel for those who tried and it didn't work out for them. When you find a handle/razor combo that works it's a much better shave. After a year it would take me the same amount of time with either, though at first that isn't the case.

I'm with the guys who gave up on the old DE razors. I used to slice myself to shreds with them. I bought a Gillette Mach 3 many years ago & have extremely satisfied. The blades last a lot longer than any of the twin blades I used before that.

Supposedly Gillette spent $1 billion on R&D for that razor. I'm not sure how you could possibly spend that much, but the results are fantastic.

Originally Posted By: grumpyoldman
I'm with the guys who gave up on the old DE razors. I used to slice myself to shreds with them. I bought a Gillette Mach 3 many years ago & have extremely satisfied. The blades last a lot longer than any of the twin blades I used before that.

Supposedly Gillette spent $1 billion on R&D for that razor. I'm not sure how you could possibly spend that much, but the results are fantastic.

I'm not talking down about cartridge razers, I definitely understand the appeal to them. However I can't recall the last time iv cut myself with a double blade.

I picked it back up last year and its really all about the angle. I feel confident enough to shave with my eyes closed.

I have alittle harder time with straight razers but I only cut myself with that once. Granted I don't use it often maybe once a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back