Clarification needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did a search on oil analysis intervals. Would I be correct in trying to find a safe maximum oil change mileage # by oil analysis at...say...5K, and then maybe 3K intervals after that? In my case, the engine will be cleaned with Auto-Rx and then filled (probably) with Schaeffers Supreme 10w-30. Or is there a tried and true method of finding this #?
After finding this mileage #, can it be assumed that oil changes can be performed from then onward at that interval, providing the same types of oil and filter are used?
Thank you.
Hugh
patriot.gif

Once you determine the interval that is safe, you still should periodically do oil analysis to make sure things are ok. An engine might all of a sudden let in more dirt (air leak perhaps) and this could shorten the oil life. Also, maybe the area you are driving gets more dusty (construction zones going up for instance) which will also shorten the oil life.

So once you find the safe interval through oil analysis, you can comfortably use it for a few intervals, but perhaps every 3rd oil change you should take another sample just to double check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back