Clamp meters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, So who knows which is a better amp meter? I'm lookin for one up to 400 amp, and I'm torn between three different brands.

My first choice is (right now) Ideal

Second would be fluke

And third greenlee

Any body had any bad experiences with any? I'm lookin in the $75 - $125 range with the ideal I got my eye on at $75 and one for $95 that says true rms, is true rms worth the extra $$$?

I have a Fluke 23 that I used at work and is about 25 years oil. Seems they are {were} well made. I would buy another Fluke based on how the 23 was, but then my 92 Toy 4X4 was awesome and my 2006 is just pretty good not really any better than my wifes Ford Powerstroke p/u.. Toyotas quality has dropped over the years.

I like my Fluke meters. But in my case, I actually use a Fluke meter with a Fieldpiece attachment for amps.

In general, I would say anything will work. You don't need anything fancy for reading amps. I work on HVACR for a living and would buy a Fieldpiece if I didn't already have a nice Fluke.

I went with Fieldpiece, because of price and reliability. had Fluke and it was nothing but trouble, never again.

I've always used Fluke. No trouble ever. I had an Ideal also, it was fine. The Fluke's clamp is a better shape for sneakin' into tight places.

For the usual automotive work the 'true rms' feature is of no benefit. OTOH if you are working with AC circuits and doing more than basic work, the 'true rms' feature is useful.

I have a Hioki analog AC clamp meter that I bought about 25 years ago and it has served me well. I also have a Amprobe AC/DC
clamp that has to be used in conjunction with a multimeter or scope. Also have a OTC clamp and a ESI clampmeter.

E-bay will have some good used clampmeters.

Thanks for the replies,

I basically just take amp draws on ac motors from 1/2hp to 350hp.Doing so while running odviously, so is the true rms needed just to check the amp draws?

And also underfloor heat circuit amp draws,very minor at about 6 amps.

Nice to have one that will record high and low amp draw and also shut down after a certain time but yet wake up when a change is seen.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
If the motors are on drives and you want to check voltage you need true RMS.

Ahh... OK. Thanks, they are not.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Just out of curiosity, what are you checking that draws 400 amps? That's a lot of juice.

Refrigeration compressor motors, They are not quite 400 amp per leg but that's one of the smaller meters I've seen.

Well I went with the Ideal. From my experience with them they are really good plus they have a rubber covered knob and a new point on the clamp to catch the wires easier. It was only $73 + tax, not bad IMO. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back