Claims for 5w30 not being tested at 5w20?

The new, low mass reciprocating components don't like to be slowed down with viscous, hard to sheer lubricants.
With very high compression and long stroke, relative piston speed is high. Many little 4 cylinder now have "big block stroker" crank throws.
The ECU will have to do all sorts of tricks to cover up violent combustion* and that usually snowballs into "dog" operation.
Conversely, a pre -OBDii 1993 Lincoln Mark viii I owned briefly ( with the Intech 32V V8 ) that engine would just knock like crazy if you put regular in it. It had a high state of tune, and it didn't failsafe. That engine made reliable power - the ECU nannies didn't dog it and bog it.

* momentary moderate ignition retard, VVT cam phasing change to allow EGR, Stratified pre-charge and lean charge mixture enrichment.

the 2gr fe 3.5 v6 in my Tacoma has dual injection, Atkinson and Otto style valve timing and a whole lot of ignition timing adjustability And valve phasing that is actuated by oil pressure.
the real world difference between a 0w20 and a 0w40 was nothing. No power difference no mpg difference.
many of my miles are 75-80 mph highway. Or 6mile Cold start city commutes. Wind direction and speed and red lights matter more than the oil viscosity For my engines. The 1 gr fe like all the other 4 1gr fe engines I have owned are basically oil blind. They don’t care as long as they have enough oil.
I am open to the possibility that other engine manufactures or families may be more sensitive.

Back