Claimed mpg increase off lawn mower carb in passenger vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of you all watching this YouTube channel? Claims of 26 to 41 mpg improvement after putting a lawnmower carb on a V-8.

Also featuring the least precise mpg calculations possible ... apologies if this has been posted before.

What's really funny is the comment train discussing the vapor carb conspiracy theory :)

Yeah no. If anything like a 5mpg increase was possible car's would use them. Especially to meet the EPA regs coming soon.

Supposedly the most fuel efficient way to run a ICE engine is at full throttle. You may recall that BMW's recommendation for maximum fuel economy for the 1980s 528e was 3/4 throttle acceleration and very early shifts in every gear.

So if you could get a V8 to run off a small carburetor you'd have to run it at full throttle or near full throttle all the time anyway, so it might get quite good mileage. No performance to speak of, but good mileage!

He says he started this swap as an April Fool's joke. I suspect we've seen that car with 2 different carburetors. The 4 barrel for the wheel spinning part, and the lawnmower carb for the "we're barely getting out of our own way" part. If he was actually able to drive at 70 mph with a lawnmower carb that is a surprise.

There are many ways to cheat on a fuel economy test. When I was a kid, one of our neighbours bragged about the great fuel economy of his '63 Impala SS. As proof he fueled up, then bounced the car up and down a bit so he could get even more fuel in the tank, and then finally picked up the witnesses. They drove a certain distance and put as much fuel in it as possible (without the bouncing of course). And of course it got (apparently) terrific mileage. But he overdid the bouncing and didn't drive it far enough. The mileage was so good everyone suspected there was something suspicious about the apparent fuel economy.

So if you could get a V8 to run off a small carburetor you'd have to run it at full throttle or near full throttle all the time anyway, so it might get quite good mileage. No performance to speak of, but good mileage!

It'd probably run very lean. And running very lean is quite destructive to engines.

Supposedly the most fuel efficient way to run a ICE engine is at full throttle. You may recall that BMW's recommendation for maximum fuel economy for the 1980s 528e was 3/4 throttle acceleration and very early shifts in every gear.

The reason this is true is because at full throttle you don't have the pumping losses (power used to create vacuum in intake)

This would not be true on an engine with too small of a carburetor/throttle body because you would still be trying to create vacuum at full throttle because the engine would be functionally breathing through a straw, thus, pumping losses.

Yes, at part-throttle an ICE's pumping losses are high, and so efficiency is low. And therefore, contrary to what we were taught all those years ago, maintaining a steady speed is not best for efficiency.

Hypermilers address this with a technique called "pulse and glide" - use close to wide-open-throttle to quickly hit the desired speed, coast down to somewhat slower, and repeat.

I tried it some years ago, and got very good mileage over the course of that short test. (This was per a ScanGauge.) This was early on a weekend morning, and so I wasn't interfering with other traffic. The downsides make it impractical in most circumstances:

- Rather than driving at a constant speed, you're speeding up and slowing down constantly, which messes with traffic.

- To maintain an average speed equal to the posted limit, you have to be above the limit about half the time. Try explaining to photo radar that your average speed was legal.

But on a backroad, it would work well.

Relatedly, Toyota calculated back in the '70s that lowest fuel consumption occurred at about 50% of redline. This seemed to be borne out by their 4-speed Corollas getting better mileage than the 5-speeds.

I wonder if this tied in with a larger throttle opening?

Audi, and perhaps others, gave their US-export cars a shorter final drive to increase the RPM at the (legal) speed limit of 55 MPH.

I'm not clicking on it, but why in the hell do I see a GM HEI distributor?
Well you missed out because if you would have clicked on it you not only would have seen something that looks suspiciously like an HEI but the log chain connecting the drivers side cylinder head to the chassis due to the assumed wasted motor mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back