CK4 Shell Rotella T6 15W-40

See attached VOA . Recent batch of CK4 in 15W-40.

[Linked Image]

Yeah I noticed that, silly Blackstone!

And yeah, interesting to compare with the previous 5W-40 VOA. Pretty much the same as the 15W-40.

I think I still prefer Mobil Delvac ESP's numbers but I'll probably give this Rotella a whirl in May when I change next.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I'm thinking kv40 and might have shed some light on the difference.

Hmm? Sorry, I don't follow.

Originally Posted by HDoilDude

Some of the product data sheets report the kinematic viscosity Kv, at both 100 C and 40 C. Generally the higher the value of the winter grade, xW, the higher, will be the viscosity at 40 degrees C. Doesn't really prove anything, just shows there is a difference in how the oil behaves. I have no idea why API chose 40 C over something like 5 C. The oil analysis ( at least at Blackstone ) does not include the kinematic viscosity at 40 C.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HDoilDude

Some of the product data sheets report the kinematic viscosity Kv, at both 100 C and 40 C. Generally the higher the value of the winter grade, xW, the higher, will be the viscosity at 40 degrees C. Doesn't really prove anything, just shows there is a difference in how the oil behaves. I have no idea why API chose 40 C over something like 5 C. The oil analysis ( at least at Blackstone ) does not include the kinematic viscosity at 40 C.
smile.gif

Ahhhh gotcha, thanks!

Resurrecting an old thread because I was at WM looking for some Rotella T6 5w-40 CK4 but no luck. No other stores have it either. I did see some T6 15w-40 on the shelf. Looking at this thread and another https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/rotella-t6-15w-40.307209/post-5069611 , it looks like there is no difference between the two oils. Viscosity is about the same as are the additives. Is Shell pulling a fast one? Same oil but labeled differently for marketing purposes?

Viscosity is about the same as are the additives. Is Shell pulling a fast one? Same oil but labeled differently for marketing purposes?
You can't label a 15W oil as 5W, you have to label an oil with the lowest winter label it achieves, ad packs will be very similar, since they're both nominally 40 grade oils at operating temperature they'll both be about the same viscosity at 100C which is the only viscosity tested on a standard VOA, you can't determine the winter rating unless you run a cold cranking simulation or mini rotary viscosimeter test on the oil. The 15W40 is likely to use a heavier base oil and less VIIs and be more sheer stable than the 5W40 and likely to retain more viscosity in a UOA and maintain a higher HTHS viscosity throughout the OCI

Back