CJ4 or CK4 Delvac 1300? Which one is the upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of quick questions for everyone. Like many of you, I have been using 15W40 motor oils in my gasoline small engines.

Recently, in my local Walmart, I noticed both Delvac 1300 in CJ4, as well as CK4 versions, on the shelf. Both at a rollback price of under $11 per gallon jug. Upon looking up the specs, I noticed that the CJ version has the higher flashpoint (236C) and the higher HTHS 4.3. The newer CK4 version has a flashpoint of 225C and HTHS of 4.1.

With that in mind,

1) Is the CJ4 version the one I want?

2) How can the older CJ4 version have a higher flashpoint, is it really a synthetic blend?

3) Would a Mobil 1 10W30 outperform both of these under 90 - 100F conditions?

I have a Cub Cadet with a FR651V engine (21 HP). Also have a Honda EU6500is inverter generator that has been on a diet of 15W40. Both call for a 10W30, but so far, I can't see any drawbacks in using 15W40.

People get in way over their heads about this stuff. CK4 supersedes CJ4 and all previous categories and either will work fine, those engines aren't particularly picky. Although, I prefer to run monogrades in my mowers and log splitter because of the minimal airflow, high revving, and no chance of shear.

I have about 20 hrs on the new Delvac CK4- Amazon had the same deal.
They sold it as CJ4 but CK4 came to me. In a Exmark 708 cc it runs great.
I was surprised that the manual suggests up to 100 hr oil changes and the Amsoil Signature 10w30 I used prior looked like water in less than 25 hours. So I'm sticking with 15w40 from here on out.

I grabbed a few jugs on sale before the change - but both are plenty stout for your application ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back