Civilian legal MP5 found, sort of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
For many years, I've drooled over the thought of owning an H&K MP5 submachine gun. However, it is nearly impossible for a US citizen to own one, due to NFA rules. It can probably be done, but is very expensive, and takes a long time for all the paperwork to be approved/processed.

At last, the problem has been solved (sort of), thanks to our German friends at German Sport Guns GmbH. No, they aren't making exact copies of the MP5 available to the public, but they're doing the next best thing, IMO. They are now producing civilian-legal .22LR semi-auto replicas of the famed MP5. MSRP is $499.99. The importer is American Tactical Imports Inc. Below is a link that shows the new German beauties. Drool away, H&K lovers:

http://www.americantactical.us/gsg_page.html

FWIW, I found out about these new guns by reading an article in the March 2009 edition of Shooting Times magazine.

Interesting. A bit pricey for something that does the same things as a 10/22 but they look cool.

If you've got the money and get lucky, you might be able to find a used HK94 out there somewhere.

to me it's just another .22. From what I've read by reliable people these things are just as bad as any other .22. Misfire and jam city. For $500 I could have one [censored] of a 10/22. Or better yet a better suited firearm. Besides for $500, a 22 round magazine with .22. BAHH

I've also read bad things about them being picky on ammo to where they jam and fail to eject. Smith & Wesson have something very similar that supposedly behaves itself a lot better.

The only time the GSG-5 jams is if you hold it by the mag while shooting. Otherwise, it will eat any decent .22 ammo you put through it. I've seen them go thousands of rounds between cleanings with no jams.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
For many years, I've drooled over the thought of owning an H&K MP5 submachine gun.

Move to, for example, Somalia.

Quote:
However, it is nearly impossible for a US citizen to own one, due to NFA rules. It can probably be done, but is very expensive, and takes a long time for all the paperwork to be approved/processed.

That's a shame. I wish I could pick one up at REI.

Quote:
At last, the problem has been solved (sort of), thanks to our German friends at German Sport Guns GmbH. No, they aren't making exact copies of the MP5 available to the public, but they're doing the next best thing, IMO. They are now producing civilian-legal .22LR semi-auto replicas of the famed MP5.

Don't bring that piece of garbage to a gun fight.

I'd think you'd look pretty foolish to bring ANY .22lr to a gun fight!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
For many years, I've drooled over the thought of owning an H&K MP5 submachine gun.

Move to, for example, Somalia.

Heck no! It gets way too hot there during Summer.

Quote:
However, it is nearly impossible for a US citizen to own one, due to NFA rules. It can probably be done, but is very expensive, and takes a long time for all the paperwork to be approved/processed.

That's a shame. I wish I could pick one up at REI.

Me, too!!!

Quote:
At last, the problem has been solved (sort of), thanks to our German friends at German Sport Guns GmbH. No, they aren't making exact copies of the MP5 available to the public, but they're doing the next best thing, IMO. They are now producing civilian-legal .22LR semi-auto replicas of the famed MP5.

Don't bring that piece of garbage to a gun fight.

Any shooter worth his weight in paper targets, knows dang well that this is not a fighting gun. It's a fun plinking gun, which could could be used on small game and varmints. It's a nice little conversation piece as well, but that's about it. Mori, you must have been in a foul mood when you wrote your reply.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I saw one the other day. Really cool looking though I wouldn't buy one.

I would, and now that I've got a decent job again, I probably will buy one soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back