Civic vs Hurricane Irene - It'll buff out, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
Thanks to Hurricane Irene, a tree crashed down and kaplopped onto my gf's car. No other cars were damaged (nor people, thank goodness,) and the tow-truck guy said it was the worst he'd seen over the past couple of days - great...

The [censored] part is she recently had the timing belt and water pump replaced for a nice chunk of change. I also recently replaced a seized caliper, as well as the other side while I was at it, along with the rotors and pads, all for more than $250. She had some rust creeping along the top of the windshield that had worsened over the past year and 2 months she's owned the car, bubbling up and looking pretty nasty. I convinced her to pay the $300 to have it repaired before it got the point of either causing a leak or being too costly. Last, but no least, the tires are all less than 4 months old. This car was good to go for a long time to come...

Luckily, she had full coverage with a low deductible and owes a lot less than what it's worth (or so we hope.) The funny thing is, I was eye-balling the car all morning and deciding whether I should move it. The winds were THAT bad and none of the trees contiguous to the parking lot seemed as if threatening to toppled. It certainly wouldn't have been good if I'd been in the car while this occurred.

DSCN1445.jpg

DSCN1449.jpg

DSCN1452.jpg

Now, we begin the search for another used car for her. She drives 15-25k miles per year, so she needs something economical, but reliable and safe are my main concerns.

Last edited:
Just bend the roof back into place, buff out the hood, and you are ready to go again
wink.gif

Just kidding ... glad you both are safe.
15.gif
43.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Ahhh NO! Glad no one was injured. Looks like it may still have some salvage value.

I'm actually not sure how all of that works. I also don't have the space to keep the car and part it out, if that's what you mean. It was mentioned in my PSF-question-thread that I should mention the recent work in hopes of upping the market value. We're hoping , but not expecting close to NADA retail if that's the case.

It was also mentioned to us that we could get some extra money by swapping out the good alloy rims and new tires for steelies and bald tires. This would lower the NADA value by around $150 (alloy rims,) but it might be worth it if we she can get some one to pay more than that before the adjuster cuts a check. This is all assuming it'll be totaled, too...

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
Just bend the roof back into place, buff out the hood, and you are ready to go again
wink.gif

Just kidding ... glad you both are safe.
15.gif
43.gif

I joked to the Bodyg Shop guy about chopping the top off and making it a convertible. He said that he would do whatever I wanted as long as I had the money. When my gf called to confirm the car arrived, he replied, "yep, I've got your convertible right here." We both laughed. It's pretty much all you can do when something like this happens. It's really not that big of a deal when you think about it. Maybe she'll get another used car that will require my special touch to make it run "BITOG better" haha

If you like the Civic buy another - I think the 2006+ body style is nice.

Our family bought a 2009 Corolla and we regret not getting the Civic instead. [censored] visibility and not so great MPG out of the Corolla. Big disappointment. -We've had it since March.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I cant believe how big the trees are there!

You need to visit Canada... Those trees are tiny. We had a wind storm a few months ago and there was a tree about 3ft wide split and go into somebody's house a few blocks from me. The two trees in front of my house are easily twice as big around as that little sapling
wink.gif

Seriously though.... The damage from trees can be devastating as indicated by the pictures.

make it a convertible! An ex friends mustang met the same fate here in NJ. Insurance should have it covered and gives your gr an opportunity to try another car

Really glad no-one was hurt - someone could have easily been in that car!

Replacing a car....easy! Lotsa deals out there!

Thank you every one for your comments and concern. I know we're all relative strangers here, but I do appreciate the community and value all of your opinions as I would a friend's. Well, most of you anyway.
crackmeup2.gif

Now, we're trying find her a replacement, and are nearly certain that an old and cheap, but reliable are that needs nothing (for now, of course) makes the most financial sense. I've started another thread asking advice on a '95 Corolla, which seems the most promising at the moment. Please make sure to comment in that thread as well if you have any opinions or experience with older Toyotas in general or 95 Corollas specifically.

I've started another thread asking advice on a '95 Corolla, which seems the most promising at the moment. Please make sure to comment in that thread as well if you have any opinions or experience with older Toyotas in general or 95 Corollas specifically.[/quote]

Excellent choice in considering a Corolla ... they are outstanding vehicles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back