Citrus Skin Peel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grow tangerine, ora blanco and lime. Do most just throw the peel away when eaten. I like to save the peel and make citrus tea.

Tangerine tea has 20 times the antioxidants in juice from what I've read like wise in lime and in citrus. The peel is potent. Since I grow organic with no pesticides the skin is free and natural.

I boil the peel for 5 minutes and simmer for 10 minutes. I use the citrus liquid and make green tea. Potent mix.

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
If you're boiling the peel isn't that impacting the nutritional value of the antioxidants?

My thinking is...any antioxidants that are boiled away, are in the water though, like soup, they've lost some value and not as potant as being raw. But still, drinking the tea/water is better than throwing away the peel.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
I work with a guy that eats them like an apple, peel and all.

I blend them into smoothies, skin and all.

You can also zest the peels for various cocktails, or even use the zest in beer. I just had Stone Ruination IPA Grapefruit Slam this past weekend -- they take the already excellent Ruination and put grapefruit zest in it.

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
If you're boiling the peel isn't that impacting the nutritional value of the antioxidants?

I use fresh peeled citrus, to get the most flavor out of it I boil 1/2 the skin and simmer the other half. I've got too much peel.

Make sure no chemicals are on store bought citrus, I use but homegrown. You can add citrus peel to stews, soups what have you.

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
I was under the impression the pith is where the antioxidants really are. ...

This is an interesting point. What is beneficial in the pith part of the skin vs the oily outermost layer?
The pith is rather tasteless, I find it easy to eat with the fruit as-is unless it is tough.
The oily part is stronger, both in flavor and irritants. After all, it is a defensive layer. I'd rather eat the oily part cooked for flavoring either a savory dish or some sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back