circuit breakers for electric motors 5hp and up

I bought a quincy 60 gallon air compressor and they are adamant about using a 50 amp breaker even though the FLA for the 5hp baldor motor is like 21 amps. Reading in the QA section where people ask questions about the compressor, one guy says if you only use a 30 amp breaker you will prematurely wear out the starter contacts. I have a table saw and a surface planer that also have 5hp motors, both of those I just have a 30 amp breaker hooked to it with no issues. Maybe the compressor has more of a startup load compared to the other two?

That's essentially correct but not just a start up load but turning against a load as it builds pressure ( plus a single phase motor)

Its somewhat a misconception that a compressor doesn't start under load because the pressure switch bleeds from the piston to the in tank check valve.

It would be more correct to say the "pump" starts turning unloaded but after a rev or 2 its turning against tank pressure.

Regular saws and other applications generally don't turn against that kind of load profile

For motor loads , the circuit breaker or fuse rating is based on horse power , not running load . I do not have a code book handy , or I could tell you what is required for 5 hp .

If the documentation for the compressor call for a 60 amp C. B. , that is what I would install , with # 6 AWG copper cable .

That’s correct. Per NEC a breaker is typically sized 250% of the FLA to allow for proper motor starting.

Yup. I believe it’s NEC Article 450 and there’s a table in there. It’s 175% of FLA if it’s a fuse. I forget the exact table number in the NEC. I think it’s 450.250 or something like that.

For motor loads , the circuit breaker or fuse rating is based on horse power , not running load . I do not have a code book handy , or I could tell you what is required for 5 hp .

If the documentation for the compressor call for a 60 amp C. B. , that is what I would install , with # 6 AWG copper cable .

50 amp breaker not 60. 50 amp is what was used.

Article 430 is the section that deals with motor circuits. Motor circuits are wired VERY differently than regular branch circuits. First of all, take that 21 FLA that's printed on the motor and disregard it entirely. Everything is wired according to HP rating. And according to the NEC, a 5 HP motor has an FLA of 28 amps. So you need to assume your motor has an FLA of 28 amps, regardless of what the motor says.

Second of all, the wiring needs to have an ampacity of 125% of the FLA. So, 28 x 1.25 = 35A. That means #8 Romex, or #10 THHN if you're running conduit.

The breaker can be sized UP TO 250% of the FLA. That means you could use a 70A breaker if you wanted to. (28 x 2.5 = 70A) The reason you can use such a large breaker on relatively small wire is because the motor already has its own overload protection built in ( the little red button/breaker on the motor). The breaker only protects against a dead short in the wiring (which would result in current way above 70A and would still trip the breaker immediately). You want a large breaker to prevent nuisance trips from the large in-rush starting current. That being said, I have a 40A breaker on my 60 gallon, 5 HP Quincy and it works just fine.

Lastly, you can't use a cord and plug with this compressor; it needs to be hardwired in (there aren't really any plugs and receptacles rated for more than 3 HP). There also needs to be a disconnect right next to the compressor IF the breaker panel is in another room, or over 50 ft away, or not within sight when standing at the compressor. The disconnect must also be rated for at least 5 HP.

Back