Cinemark RealD 3d Movies - Do I need 3d glasses for real?

The internet is 50/50 split on this. But.......has anyone been able to watch a 3d movie (in lesser quality of course) without the glasses?

some sites say in an actual cinema that it is not required due to special technology but at home you must wear the special glasses.

I have but the image that comes in looks blurry without the glasses - it may cause some disorientation with the blurriness.

I've taken off the 3D glasses for various reasons, such as cleaning off popcorn grease or just readjusting them. It's pretty standard stuff with glasses polarized in different directions. My elementary school teacher had a Viewmaster projector that would project two images projected with polarized lenses. He also had a Viewmaster camera.

What you're going to see without the glasses is two slightly different images projected on the same screen. It's not impossible to watch, but I wouldn't want to watch something like that for 2 to 3 hours.

So can it still be enjoyed or no?

Make it even easier can you wear the glasses if you only have one eye?

So can it still be enjoyed or no?

Make it even easier can you wear the glasses if you only have one eye?

Polarized lens technology is old. You'll see a slightly off double-image. With the glasses on and only one eye, it will look like a 2D image since it will pass one of the images. Both eyes are needed for the 3D effect. With one eye there's still ways to sense 3D in the real world, but not with a projected image. 3D is processed in the brain, and our brains have ways to sense depth with just a single eye. But there is no depth with a projected image. Two eyes are needed to simulate depth with a projection.

At least it's not the red/blue 3D. Those were interesting.

Yes someone with one eye should still wear the glasses or they will see a double image.

Cinemark is an actual cinema. Polarized projection only exists in cinemas. 3D movie viewing on a home TV uses a completely different technology.

Yes someone with one eye should still wear the glasses or they will see a double image.

Cinemark is an actual cinema. Polarized projection only exists in cinemas. 3D movie viewing on a home TV uses a completely different technology.

There are different 3D technologies for home video, but some actually use polarized images. It's mostly active shutters used, but some home TVs use polarized filters.

Some folks get headaches from the polarized 3D tech that "Real D" uses..
If you are one of those, and your friends insist on the 3D showing, there are these:
Both lenses are polarized in the same direction.

UPDATE:

After reading and getting both answers I decided to try it for myself. You can indeed cover one eye or the other and the images look amazing. I can also confirm it is not viewable without those polarized glasses. They are not optional.

Now if you have only one eye, or you have been diagnosed Strabismus, your brain most likely will not get the entire 3d experience, but in my opinion the movie still is very excellent. Like any other 4K HDR when viewed with goggles.

Back