Church Crawfish Boil Today

My church had a crawfish boil today. All proceeds go to the church and its Catholic school. I find this is a great donation every year ($15). 4 lbs. of boiled crawfish, 2 potatoes, an ear of corn, and a link of sausage. I ate the sausage before I got home. 😋
In the 1st pic about 75% were this size or just shy of this size. There were a few medium sized ones.
They were cest bon, mon sha'.

Attachments

• CRAWDAD1.jpg
    CRAWDAD1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 77
  • CRAWDAD2.jpg
    CRAWDAD2.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 78
I used crawdads for fishing bait and never was at a crawfish boil. What do they taste like? Ed
They're kind of like the dark meat of the crustacean world.
I have only eaten them once plain, without any seasoning. They just don't taste right that way. Some people are either lazy or cheap, or both, and don't boil them in seasoned water. They boil them, put them in a container, sprinkle seasoning on them, shake them up, and then serve them. You're eating seasoning from your fingers giving you the idea that you just ate crawfish from a pot of seasoned water. SMH!
:rolleyes:

Lawd have mercy! We are paying $8-9/lb for crawfish in east Houston. :) that's a killer deal.

Depends on where one is located I guess. I understand that the red swamp crayfish grows like weeds in Louisiana. They're still farmed for the most part, but it's supposed to be really easy where the just eat everything.

I haven't seen them in a while in my area, but I remember seeing them in San Francisco Chinatown for about $2.50/lb. They've apparently been transplanted to China years ago and many consider them a delicacy where they grow really fast compared to native crayfish.

I sent this thread to my BIL (Houston, TX). He was told that rice farmers raise crawfish in the patties and harvest the crawfish after the rice.
Are your church's crawfish from rice patties? I think that'd be so cool.

I sent this thread to my BIL (Houston, TX). He was told that rice farmers raise crawfish in the patties and harvest the crawfish after the rice.
Are your church's crawfish from rice patties? I think that'd be so cool.
These were river crawfish from the Atchafalaya Basin (about 10 miles from me).
In Krotz Springs, La. they grow rice and crawfish in the same field (about 25 miles from me).

These were river crawfish from the Atchafalaya Basin (about 10 miles from me).
In Krotz Springs, La. they grow rice and crawfish in the same field (about 25 miles from me).

If you take I-10 from Lafayette to Lake Charles you'll see plenty of rice fields that are doing double duty .

Wife ordered some frozen through a grocery delivery service. They were processed by an ethnic Chinese company based in Egypt called Jiang's Fish Processor Co., Ltd. Go fig. But they're otherwise fine. They look similar to red swamp crayfish, but I can't be 100% sure if they are or just a native species.

Back