Chrysler to build plant in Mexico...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PT1

I had 5 in a row that were absolutely perfect..the wife & kids even mowed down a 14 point buck with a Durango and it didn't even stall out and she drove it to the body shop.

I've always had good luck with Chryslers. I had a ~1987 LeBaron (w/mitsu engine) and a 1992 Plymouth Acclaim. Both were very reliable, good in the snow, comfortable, and decent mileage for their time. Before that, I had an '84 (I think) Dodge Omni -- it was the cheapest econobox (uncomfortable, poor handling, etc.) of the day but it was reliable and got good mileage.

I now own a Jeep Compass which has about 60k miles and hasn't had any problems. It's a great little car; I just can't imagine paying anywhere close to MSRP for it.

And other than the Honda Insight which was very small in #'s sold, the Prius was the only game in town and over 90% of the Hybrid Tax Credit money went to Prius owners.

So toyota was not inclined to cut prices, jacked em up way above MSRP and took their customers to cleaners since they were getting the 3600$ rebate from you and me! So basically it was welfare for Toyota.

Also lets not forget all the incentives Japan gave Toyota for development of the Batteries and Hyrbid drive systems for the Prius but guess the Japanese taxpayer was on the hook for that one, maybe they ought to ask for that money back since it is a lousey one with [censored] brakes ehh??

Originally Posted By: VNTS

Or the corporate welfare where the US Taxpayer got to subsidize Prius's because they were Hybrids to the tune of 3600$/car for the first 60,000 of em made????? 220 million to gready Toyota. I dont want my tax money wasted on imported vehichles?

What your saying just is not true. The tax credit for hybrid vehicles did not go solely to Toyota...it actually was an incentive for the consumer much like the one for the Chevy Volt or electric golf carts that get the same thing. So your logic here is totally flawed. You really need to search out the facts on this issue. The whole point of this post is about money being spent to create jobs in Mexico. Not a hybrid vehicle tax credit.

Last edited:
And other than the Honda Insight which was very small in #'s sold, the Prius was the only game in town and over 90% of the Hybrid Tax Credit money went to Prius owners.

So toyota was not inclined to cut prices, jacked em up way above MSRP and took their customers to cleaners since they were getting the 3600$ rebate from you and me! So basically it was welfare for Toyota.

Also lets not forget all the incentives Japan gave Toyota for development of the Batteries and Hyrbid drive systems for the Prius but guess the Japanese taxpayer was on the hook for that one, maybe they ought to ask for that money back since it is a lousey one with [censored] brakes ehh??

point of this post is about money being spent to create jobs in Mexico. Not a hybrid vehicle tax credit.

Sorry your facts are wrong again. The prius was the only car out there because GM cancelled their EV program and crushed all the cars. Sorry the tax credit is for consumers to buy NON-IC powered vehicles. It is not corporate welfare. Too bad for your opinion but it is just not factual. Electric golf cart owners get the same credit...John Stossel just did a report on his electric golf cart paid for with tax money. The brakes on a Prius are fine. They just need a software upgrade. No parts need be replaced. Just a re-flash.

Get used to it....the Toyota Prius is now and will be the premier electric/gas hybrid vehicle for the next 10 years...because the Volt will fall flat on it's face....I'll be laughing....

Really, it makes me want to puke to think about the Chrysler sale to Daimler that totally wrecked the product line and quality of the vehicles which in turn pushed me to buying GM garbage which in turn moved me forward (
lol.gif
) to Toyota. If they would have just left Chrysler alone I would still be driving them...no problem.
I had 5 in a row that were absolutely perfect..the wife & kids even mowed down a 14 point buck with a Durango and it didn't even stall out and she drove it to the body shop.

Now look at this mess.

Wow it's like the tumblers in the vault just clicked, the light bulb is on now.......Your a Chrysler guy, that explains a lot to me.....Carry on.....lol.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Really, it makes me want to puke to think about the Chrysler sale to Daimler that totally wrecked the product line and quality of the vehicles which in turn pushed me to buying GM garbage which in turn moved me forward (
lol.gif
) to Toyota. If they would have just left Chrysler alone I would still be driving them...no problem.

Now look at this mess.

Wow it's like the tumblers in the vault just clicked, the light bulb is on now.......Your a Chrysler guy, that explains a lot to me.....Carry on.....lol.

That is 100% correct...I am a MOPAR guy done wrong by the Germans and Fix IT Again Tony....if the DCX deal never occured there would NOT ba a Toyota 4Runner in my garage...but honestly...it is the closest thing to the old Durango with the bulletproof 4.7L V8 which by far was my absolutely favorite SUV. The 4 Runner is a pretty good truck though....built as good as the old Durango. I could go on fro about 2 hours about how easy it was to work on the old Durango but that is another story. If Toyota made the wheelbase on the 4R just a bit wider it would have the same exact feel. But the 4.88 gears make it run like the Durango with 4.11's

Last edited:
Or the corporate welfare where the US Taxpayer got to subsidize Prius's because they were Hybrids to the tune of 3600$/car for the first 60,000 of em made????? 220 million to gready Toyota. I dont want my tax money wasted on imported vehichles?

What your saying just is not true. The tax credit for hybrid vehicles did not go solely to Toyota...it actually was an incentive for the consumer much like the one for the Chevy Volt or electric golf carts that get the same thing. So your logic here is totally flawed. You really need to search out the facts on this issue. The whole point of this post is about money being spent to create jobs in Mexico. Not a hybrid vehicle tax credit.

Let me get this straight. Because Toyota didnt get ALL of the tax subsidy, that means it's not a subsidy? Toyota collected most of that tax credit, what does that make it?

Can you point me to the people who got a tax credit on their Volts?....What is the name of that program available to Volt owners, and where are they buying these Volts at?

Sometimes, I think you just make stuff up as you go. You have some nerve telling others to check their facts when in fact you seem to continually distort or outright lie about "facts"

Last edited:

Let me get this straight. Because Toyota didnt get ALL of the tax subsidy, that means it's not a subsidy? Toyota collected most of that tax credit, what does that make it?

Can you point me to the people who got a tax credit on their Volts?....What is the name of that program available to Volt owners, and where are they buying these Volts at?

Sometimes, I think you just make stuff up as you go. You have some nerve telling others to check their facts when in fact you seem to continually distort or outright lie about "facts"

The bill passed by the House 263 to 171, and is certain to be signed by Bush. What this means to future Volt buyers is what’s called the Transportation and Domestic Fuel Security Provision.

This provision provides a tax credit for buyers of plug-in electric vehicles and provides a base of $2,500 plus an additional $417 per kwh for batteries greater than 4 kwh. For the Chevy Volt, that works out to $7,500 per car.

But act quick, the credit will be applied to the first 250,000 plug-in cars sold in the US and will be phased out to 50% for the following two quarters, and 25% for the two quarters after that before ending. The total cost of the credits will be $758 million.

This is an exciting day for the Chevy Volt. For Americans, its purchase price essentially just dropped $7,500 in the form of a new tax credit just signed into law. That may be the difference consumers need to launch the Chevy Volt to stardom. That is, unless a competitor like Toyota captures the market before GM can produce enough Volts.

Now it’s a race against time for GM to produce Chevy Volts and explode its marketshare in “new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicles”. The new government tax credit will put “$2,500 plus $417 for each kilowatt hour of traction battery capacity in excess of 4 kilowatt hours” back into the driver’s bank account.

The government is acting aggressively to head off an economic downturn with credits like this one and a $7,500 credit that qualifies as an interest free loan for new home owners.

But if you want to qualify for the tax credit you’ll have to act quickly because only the first 250,000 vehicles sold are guaranteed to qualify. The idea is to usher in a new class of drivers who are using energy efficient, and economically sound vehicles.

GM’s latest pricing estimates hover somewhere under $40,000 for the Chevy Volt, which still makes it a hard pill for middle class America to swallow, but definitely more palatable. It’s also important to highlight the savings in gas, especially if barrels of oil continue to rise in price. Money currently slotted for petroleum could instead be used for part of a monthly car payment.

It behooves GM to keep its prices low, or it will risk losing an opportunity to be a market leader to competitors like Toyota and Nissan who have their own plug in electric vehicles planned.

This is certainly some good news for would-be Chevy Volt owners, let’s hope a car like this can convince consumers to act out their part and start spending some of that hard-earned cash!

What does that have to do with anything. The guy said the Prius was subsidized by US tax dollars and you said he was wrong, told him to check his facts and then you post all this jibberish about a subsidy that hasnt even happened yet. The guy was right, you were wrong, the hybrids did collect a tax credit for quite a long time. No Volts were in on that, how could they?

I'll ask you again, has anyone collected on this credit, who owns a Volt currently, and where are they buying their Volt at?

Last edited:
Geez, lotssa quotes. I'm just simply asking who has bought a Volt?

Nobody I know...but when they roll out in quantity you get $7500 off which brings the price to around $32k. I am goingh to go drive one though for sure. If I had one with my commute I would only use gas on Saturday. I'll do the calculations and if the cost of no fuel M-F breaks even with the cost and 5 year depreciation of the car over 5 years I may get one. But I don't think it will.

Please delete this information before GMBoy sees it....
crackmeup2.gif

Of course by then a Prius might be going for $15k

Last edited:
So, was the guy right? The guy you insulted and told him to "check his facts".....Did the Toyota hybrids collect a US tax payer credit?

Yes or No? Not more of your [censored] and non sensical [censored].

How did this get from the 500 to prius tax credits?

Anyway, I agree. They should build the 500 at the PAtriot/Caliber plant. At the end of the 20th century Chrysler was by far in the strongest position of the domestic automakers. They had a very strong product lineup, reliability was good, and so was quality. Then Mercedes came in and everything went to pot.

It still amazes me that people will have thier money go to a company to save its worthless [censored]. Then that company turns around and sends 300 jobs was it to a different country, pathetic.. I hope Chrysler fails horribly.

There is a difference with ford, they didnt get bought out by Uncle Sam

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Chrysler should have gone through a proper bankruptcy. If they had they may well have been able to build a plant in a right to work state.

Correct you are.

Originally Posted By: Norse
Building the 500 in Mexico is fine, will be a good source for South America. But why not also build them here for the North American market, someplace like Kenosha or something. I really might be wrong, but I think the little 500's will sell like hot cakes when they arrive. Kind of like the beetle did when it hit North America.

Mexico is part of North America.

33.gif

Originally Posted By: css9450
But why not also build them here for the North American market, someplace like Kenosha or something.

Is that plant still there? I thought it was torn down some years ago. You might be thinking of Belvedere.

Heck Belvedere could probably absorb another car line with no trouble. All they make there is, what, the Caliber and Patriot I believe?

I'm batting a thousand. You're right, I was thinking of the Belvedere plant.

How about bringing back Plymouth and the Plymouth Belvedere!
27.gif

Originally Posted By: defektes
It still amazes me that people will have thier money go to a company to save its worthless [censored]. Then that company turns around and sends 300 jobs was it to a different country, pathetic.. I hope Chrysler fails horribly.

Give billions to a company just to send jobs to another country. Chrysler should have died years ago..
09.gif

Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
Originally Posted By: defektes

Give billions to a company just to send jobs to another country. Chrysler should have died years ago..
09.gif

That truly is sad. I see so much stuff going offshore, just walk through the tool aisle at home depot, every time you go more and more stuff is made somewhere else.

My wife has a first-world produced VW rabbit. We went and saw the third-world produced Jetta wagon, a car we had high hopes for due to the diesel, getting us 42 MPG in a MT wagon that would be a great family car.

After looking at them, maybe it was cost cutting measures, maybe not, but it looked and felt cheaper, lousier brand new than her 2 year old rabbit.

And it wasnt just switchgear. The "carmex" or whatever the glass type was, was far more wavy than the German-made Sekurit Saint-Gobain glass.

Add onto that the fact that I am not getting a discount for a third-world vehicle compared to the first-world produced unit sitting right next to it.

Bad deal all around.

Ive tried to stop buying tools from HD that have been offshored. This means some previously decent prands with good tools. It may well be that the scenario where Kia, Honda and Toyota build vehicles here that are more domestic than our "domestic" vehicles, and the effect of employing all those workers is more valuable than having a domestic company by name, who employs all foreign laborers.

What is more sad is that we have had some really great experiences with our chrysler products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back