Chrysler Sales up 25% and a comment on GM sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news for Mopar fans

http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/03/news/companies/autosales/index.htm

" Chrysler managed a 25% gain over last year, and squeezed out a 3% gain on its March sales total. Among major automakers, Chrysler was the only one that did significantly better than forecasts, which predicted only an 11% to 19% rise in sales year-over-year.

But gains were uneven: Sales of car models nearly doubled, while sales of light truck models other than minivan models fell 12%. Jeep sales were flat while sales at its Ram line of light trucks tumbled 22%. But sales for its Chrysler and Dodge brands both shot up 61%."

And a word on GM sales figures. You cannot judge the 6% to mean that GM is doing badly. According to the article, sales of Pontiac, Saturn, Saab and Hummer are down 96% over last year. While sales of the remaining 4 brands are up something like 20%+ I think those 4 are the figures we have to look at, because it doesn't make sense to compare sales for the company today, to last year when it had 4 extra brands.

makes me wonder why gm didnt revamp pontiac rather than Buick, but anyways..[trolling comment], or should i say..[removed political comment]

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: kcfx4
makes me wonder why gm didnt revamp pontiac rather than Buick, but anyways..[trolling comment], or should i say..[removed political comment]

Good riddance to Pontiac...junky and cheap. They have begun to make Buick a legitimate competitor in the entry luxury market.

Originally Posted By: drewjp
Good riddance to Pontiac...junky and cheap. They have begun to make Buick a legitimate competitor in the entry luxury market.

I won't disagree with you on that, but from what I've seen, Pontiac had a very loyal following that isn't moving into the other GM brands readily. Much like the statistics that say many GMC shoppers don't even consider Chevy and that Ford was their 2nd choice.

Isnt Junky and Cheap GM's mission statement?

Isnt Junky and Cheap GM's mission statement?

Oh here we go. Where have you been the past oh, 5 years? Especially in the last 3. GM is on par with (and personally I'd say exceeds) Honda, Toyota in quality. My cavalier is 100% GM, not one of those toyota corolla with chevy badge prizms. And I'm proud of it.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Oh here we go. Where have you been the past oh, 5 years? Especially in the last 3.

Watching GM flush itself down the toilet by consistently making bad decisions and producing poor products for the price? It's all in the historical record. Where have you been?

Originally Posted By: sbergman27
Oh here we go. Where have you been the past oh, 5 years? Especially in the last 3.

Watching GM flush itself down the toilet by consistently making bad decisions and producing poor products for the price? It's all in the historical record. Where have you been?

And I'm telling you that right now, GM products are very good, to excellent. Call me new fashioned but I really don't give a toss what GM did 30 years ago. They are NOT the same company today that they were then, contrary to popular belief.

Or heck, I'll be generous and give you 15 years.

This from the guy with a PT cruiser...While I would admit, they had to go to save big GM, your Pontiac statement makes no sense unless you are driving a Lexus.

I would like to see your PT run 11 second 1/4 miles consistently and still be daily driveable with minimal squeaks rattles and pull down 24 to 26 mpg on the highway.

He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones and this from a guy who has owned 7 different turbo Mopars and a Dodge Stratus.

And I'm telling you that right now, GM products are very good, to excellent.

Glad you like your Cavalier. Unfortunately, there weren't enough other people agreeing with you to keep GM afloat as a business.

Quote:
Call me new fashioned but I really don't give a toss what GM did 30 years ago.

The rot began at least 42 years ago. The beginnings of the downward trend are apparent in my 1968 Cadillacs.

Quote:
They are NOT the same company today that they were then

No. Back then they (the US auto industry in general, and GM in particular) were riding high because they were the only game in town, rather than having been beaten by the competition, and living off government charity.

Last edited:
"and im telling you that right now gm products are very good to excellent" ....thats reassuring...what were they?
ill be back in a minute, the news is on, [trolling comment]

Glad you like your Cavalier. Unfortunately, there weren't enough other people agreeing with you to keep GM afloat as a business.

Quote:

The rot began at least 42 years ago. The beginnings of the downward trend are apparent in my 1968 Cadillacs.

Quote:

No. Back then they were riding high because they were the only game in town, rather than having been beaten by the competition, and living off government charity.

My guess is you have not been a on a lot in a while.
CTS, SRX, Terrain, Equinox, Malibu, Lacrosse, Travese, Enclave and all of their Trucks/SUVS. All very competive cars put together well.
You GM bashers kill me.

Is1Mike, I was a loyal GM buyer for DECADES. What it got me was two very good cars (an 83 Cavalier wagon 5-speed stick and a 92 Corsica) that went past 110,000 miles in 10 years at which point I got rid of them. ALmost no repairs. But... two full size trucks. HA! Cracked block, failed brake line, failed lower intake manifold gasket, four new ball joints, failed axle seals, failed alternator, failed 5 speed gertrag manual trans, failed pinion gear seals. I now drive a Nissan Frontier. Would I go back? Let's see how the trucks hold up over 5 years.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Apparently, I'm not alone. Or at least those who *have* been "on a lot" have declined to buy GM's cars. When running a business, the object of the game is to convince enough people to buy your product to pay the bills, keep the lights on, and hopefully make a profit. GM has failed to convince enough consumers to buy their cars for the company to stay afloat. Even their domestic market has shunned them.

I'm not a GM basher. I'm just pointing out the obvious.

Last edited:

No! Where have YOU been??

there is a gm plant in my town, majority of the trucks found are a different brand, whats the employees saying? i said "different brand" hoping this post can stay on here

"and im telling you that right now gm products are very good to excellent" ....thats reassuring...what were they?
ill be back in a minute, the news is on, [trolling comment]

Quote:

Quote:

No. Back then they (the US auto industry in general, and GM in particular) were riding high because they were the only game in town, rather than having been beaten by the competition, and living off government charity.

Same as LS1Mike said, neither of you have been on a GM lot in a long time have you. The malibu, Traverse, Equinox, Camaro, Silverado. The GMC Acadia, Terrain, Sierra, Yukon. Buick Lacrosse, Regal, Enclave. Caddy CTS, SRX... Every single one is a high quality, reliable, well built and engineered vehicle.

And I'll disagree with the not enough business. While it hasn't happened yet, they have projected to make a profit this year, and it is a very encouraging sign they aren't burning through cash like nobodys business.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Apparently, I'm not alone. Or at least those who *have* been "on a lot" have declined to buy GM's cars. When running a business, the object of the game is to convince enough people to buy your product to pay the bills, keep the lights on, and hopefully make a profit. GM has failed to convince enough consumers to buy their cars for the company to stay afloat. Even their domestic market has shunned them.

I'm not a GM basher. I'm just pointing out the obvious.

Pointing out the obvious from YEARS ago, maybe. You are like rszappa1 but for GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back