Chrysler oil spec for 2002 Jeep 4.0 litre

Hi.
Apologies if this is a recurring question. I did a search but found nothing to answer my specific question.

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0. What is the Chrysler oil specification? No owners manual to refer to.

I believe 10w/30 is the preferred viscosity, but this an unusual 'weight' in UK. Plenty of 5w/30, 5w/40 and 10w/40. What is the best to choose? We have a very benign climate compared to US.

Many thanks.

Don't know the Chrysler specs, but have heard from hundreds of Jeep 4.0 owners that these engines run the best on 5w40/10w40 oils, synthetic is a plus for cleanliness and cold starts.

P.S. Also heard from the same owners that if your 4.0 doesn't seem to make much power, and nothing obvious stands out as a problem, then remove the oil pan and look for piston skirts in the oil pan. Apparently a very common issue in an otherwise a very reliable engine. But I believe the piston skirt issue only happens if the engine overheated at some point in its life.

Below is also a very reputable source for reference to fluid types and capacities. Just cross reference the spec'd Amsoil product to whatever product is available in your region.
(apparently synthetic gear oil isn't just recommended, but REQUIRED in the front and rear diffs, in 75w-140 flavor)

Last edited:
I just checked the Valvoline & Castrol netlube guides in Australia for that car/engine/year.

They say a full synthetic 5W30 as either A3/B4 or C3. Or a 10W40 semi-synthetic that is SN & A3/B4.

Those should be easy enough for you to find.

BTW if it was me I would go Shell Helix HX7 10W40 semi-synthetic, it‘s everywhere, a name brand, yet cheap to buy, and carries a lot of specs for your dollar. I believe you have it in Europe too.
Specifications: API SN/CF; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; JASO SG+; MB approval 229.3; VW 502 00/505 00; Renault RN0700, RN0710. Meets the requirements of Fiat 955535-G2

Is the owner’s manual online?
That was my first thought too, but after checking this website, there is a gap of owner manuals between 2001 and 2005 model years. Weird. Could be elsewhere on the web though, I guess...

BTW if it was me I would go Shell Helix HX7 10W40 semi-synthetic, it‘s everywhere, a name brand, yet cheap to buy, and carries a lot of specs for your dollar. I believe you have it in Europe too.
Specifications: API SN/CF; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; JASO SG+; MB approval 229.3; VW 502 00/505 00; Renault RN0700, RN0710. Meets the requirements of Fiat 955535-G2
That, or the Helix Ultra 5W40. Sometimes there was just a 3€/5L between the two, back when I was using that.
Total Quartz 7000/9000 could be another option.

Thank you for all the help.

A 10w/40 semi synthetic is looking good. All the oils you lads have suggested are easily available.

It is a flat tappet design. Will a zinc additive help?

It's a 4.0 just make sure it's got oil in it, state side people generally throw the cheapest10w-30 they can find in them. So I'm sure whatever 10w40 you can find will be fine, I don't see why you'd need a zinc additive, Do these engines even use stiff enough springs and an aggressive enough cam grind that ZDDP beyond the modern gasoline oil limits is even remotely needed?

Hi.
Apologies if this is a recurring question. I did a search but found nothing to answer my specific question.

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0. What is the Chrysler oil specification? No owners manual to refer to.

I believe 10w/30 is the preferred viscosity, but this an unusual 'weight' in UK. Plenty of 5w/30, 5w/40 and 10w/40. What is the best to choose? We have a very benign climate compared to US.

Many thanks.
I have the same engine in a 2003 Jeep. The Chrysler specification is MS 6395. Many oils meet this spec. For most temperatures, 10w-30 is the proper oil weight per the chart in the owners manual. 5w-30 for very cold temps. I live where the temperatures are usually 0F to 90F and have always used 10w-30. The original factory oil was Pennzoil yellow bottle conventional. I had the oil changed at the dealer through the warranty period, and they used the same. Now I use Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30. Blackstone oil analysis shows no wear, no issues. The Pennzoil oils that meet the spec, to name a few are: PUP, PP, PP-HM, P-Gold.

I bought my 4.0 Jeep Rubicon in summer 06. It has run Mobil 1 10W-30HM from the beginning. I now have 124,000 miles on it. No issues, no oil consumption.

I have owned two of these engines and would say that 5w-40 is a good year 'round choice for Northern England/Scotland, and 10w-40 to the south of that.

Guys on Jeep forums generally run 40 grade from what I've read.

In a nutshell, US manual says 30 grade, European says 30 or 40.

I run 5w-30 in mine most often, with 10w-30 occasionally. It seems to be happier on 30wt then 40wt which I've tried once. High mileage oil helps the slight seeps dry up.

Back