Chrysler NAG1 transmission fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna do another transmission fluid change on my 2014 Challenger, and was wondering if there were any better options then what the dealer sells. I'm hoping to run my Challenger 500,000 km (300,000 miles), so anything the helps me get there is worth the money and effort.

Thanks!

welcome2.gif

Maxlife will be fine
smile.gif

If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one. This will make future ATF changes much easier
smile.gif

If you are serious about high mileage, might want to do a cooler line flush and splice in a Magnefine filter.

I have bought maxlife before, I could only get the conventional? (or blend?) variant. I got it at Walmart, but I had to order it online. I was researching a few months ago, and Castrol Transmax synthetic atf was cheap at Costco. There was another Canadian poster who tipped me off on that one. Transmax synthetic is also highly regarded, and I personally was a little disappointed that I had to settle for non-synthetic maxlife.

You should consider putting some Lubeguard Red additive in there, too. Maxlife + LG Red is a favorite concoction around these parts.

Hit Wal-Mart, O'Reilly Auto, Autozone, etc. and get the stuff spec'd for it - ATF+4. You'll find it for $5-7 a quart depending on where you get it (O'Reilly has gallon jugs for $26-27).

As I understand it, the "ATF+4" brand or name or type or whatever it is just happens to also be trademarked such that you have to get approval (and pay a licensing fee I'm sure) to use it on your product. And to get approval, you would have to demonstrate that your product meets all the same specs that the AFT+4 fluid is supposed to meet. As such, not just anyone can slap "ATF+4 Transmission Fluid" on any red oil they make and try to sell it to you for your AFT+4 application. For it to be labeled ATF+4, it has to meet all the requirements and work in all the spec'd applications for which ATF+4 was originally designed and intended by Chrysler or whoever birthed it.

In other words, don't fear buying a house brand of ATF+4 versus a name brand - there will be negligible quality difference between almost all brands of it. I have done one full fluid and filter change on my NAG1 and probably 8-10 drain & fills since (~2.5 qts at a time). At different times I have used all the various house brands of ATF+4 available locally, and even mixed and matched at will while doing the drain & fills. I have had no problems whatsoever, and the transmission is still going strong despite the regular and unnecessary abuse I give it each and every day.

I'm putting 3500 miles a month on it, and they are not easy miles by anyone's definition. The local climate is a killer, and you would think the transmission insulted my mother with how I treat it. Yet, no slipping, no flaring, no nothing but firm and predictable shifts, even at > 125K miles.

All anecdotal evidence, yes. But in the absence of anything else, why not give it some consideration.
grin.gif

Nuke

PS: on the subject of using the MaxLife ATF in the NAG1: I don't doubt that it will work. However, you will not find anything that says MaxLife is an ATF+4 fluid, despite being good enough for the Mercedes cars these same transmissions also came in. It could be thought of as semantics, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

My point here is, you can use it and feel secure that nothing bad will happen as a result, but if you're a stickler for specs and try always NOT to run afoul of them - MaxLife isn't a spec'd fluid for the NAG1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Some unlicensed brands play games like leaving out the plus sign between "ATF" and "4". Easy way to check is the licensed fluids for ATF+4 at this link.

https://www.centerforqa.com/chrysler-brands/

Super Tech ATF+4 at Walmart has the lowest everyday price of $4.27 /qt but I've found specials on Amazon as low as $3 /qt for licensed ATF+4 at times.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-ATF-Plus-4-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-qt/17133940

Checking the approved list is good, that should work most every time...

...taste is another way to tell the difference I have found too. Though it takes an iron constitution to really amass a good library of tastes for the various transmission fluids out there.

Regarding the fluids discussed in this thread, I have found that the knock-off/cheap ATF4 fluids taste a lot like a cocktail of that brownish juice that leaks from the back of a moving garbage truck and a healthy dose of old-timey kerosene lantern oil (the unscented/uncolored kind) that you could burn in those 19th century looking lanterns (replicas).

Whereas the good stuff, the true ATF+4 fluids, IMHO, will have a much more pungent and eye=watering flavor which is very much like what I imagine robot diarrhea would taste like if the robot had been tripping on the robot equivalent of magic mushrooms and drinking used brake fluid (DOT 4 synthetic).

Okay, maybe I made some of that up...but not ALL of it! I have tasted various kinds of transmission fluid, though always accidentally, and I must say, that is some RANK stuff!!

I'd stick with ATF+4 and stay away from universal or multi-vehicle transmission fluids. I have a NAG1 in my Rubicon and I'll only use ATF+4 in it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd stick with ATF+4 and stay away from universal or multi-vehicle transmission fluids. I have a NAG1 in my Rubicon and I'll only use ATF+4 in it.

OP is up in Canada, so if he's going over to the US he can get it cheaper at Walmart.

Canadian tire has their Motomaster brand ATF+4 on sale a few times a year for $5.99 a quart. I believe it's produced by Citgo.

Your car probably doesnt have the dipstick but just the tube that you can use to check the fluid. You can buy a Dorman dipstick for it from rockauto.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1

OP is up in Canada, so if he's going over to the US he can get it cheaper at Walmart.

Canadian tire has their Motomaster brand ATF+4 on sale a few times a year for $5.99 a quart. I believe it's produced by Citgo.

Your car probably doesnt have the dipstick but just the tube that you can use to check the fluid. You can buy a Dorman dipstick for it from rockauto.

+1 on the Dorman transmission dipstick. I bought one for my Liberty which came with no dipstick. Even though the Rubicon has a dipstick I use the EVIC for a transmission fluid temp reading and use the Dorman stick with the chart to check the ATF level in it.

I have that "dipstick", but I purchased it locally at an O'Reilly Auto for $20-something bucks...which is about $15-17 more than it's worth honestly.

It's so long and noodle-like, it's more of a hassle to get a consistent reading from one check to the next that I would sincerely advise skipping the purchase of that particular tool and just make your own.

Get a pack of 36" zip ties (white, obviously) from WalMart or somewhere similar, and measure up from the end of one of them 65mm. Put a mark there, and BLAMO! you got yourself a transmission fluid checker-hootus that is head and shoulders more usable than that Doorman contraption!

Heck, if nothing else, the OP can have my Doorman noodle...or one of the 3 extras I made from the remaining zip ties in my pack of 5 I bought to make my own
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke

I have that "dipstick", but I purchased it locally at an O'Reilly Auto for $20-something bucks...which is about $15-17 more than it's worth honestly.

It's so long and noodle-like, it's more of a hassle to get a consistent reading from one check to the next that I would sincerely advise skipping the purchase of that particular tool and just make your own.

Get a pack of 36" zip ties (white, obviously) from WalMart or somewhere similar, and measure up from the end of one of them 65mm. Put a mark there, and BLAMO! you got yourself a transmission fluid checker-hootus that is head and shoulders more usable than that Doorman contraption!

Heck, if nothing else, the OP can have my Doorman noodle...or one of the 3 extras I made from the remaining zip ties in my pack of 5 I bought to make my own
laugh.gif

I guess I was lucky, my readings have been consistant. I made my own too, but found the Dorman to work very well in both my vehicles.

I guess I was lucky, my readings have been consistant. I made my own too, but found the Dorman to work very well in both my vehicles.

When I got my Doorman tool, it had been coiled up in a bag in such a way so as to bend the end metal measuring part diagonally quite a bit. It was such an odd bend angle that I figured it must be the design, and it took me a while to work out it was not supposed to be like that. But there again, the bend was so oddly angled, I could not get it back true completely to give me a measurement I was confident in.

It was only after making my own tool and verifying it that I trusted what the doorman was showing. But by then I realized the zip ties were easier to use and haven’t used the Doorman one since.

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke

When I got my Doorman tool, it had been coiled up in a bag in such a way so as to bend the end metal measuring part diagonally quite a bit. It was such an odd bend angle that I figured it must be the design, and it took me a while to work out it was not supposed to be like that. But there again, the bend was so oddly angled, I could not get it back true completely to give me a measurement I was confident in.

It was only after making my own tool and verifying it that I trusted what the doorman was showing. But by then I realized the zip ties were easier to use and haven’t used the Doorman one since.

Their packaging sucks, and it is one long tool uncoiled, but I didn't have the other problems you mentioned. I had made a dipstick from an older Liberty for my Liberty, the Rubicon had one. I wasn't confident in the stick for the Liberty and bought the Dorman tool. Truth be told I think it could have been made differently, but I guess the designers thought otherwise. LOL

I made a transmission temp probe for the Liberty too.

Being right is one thing being on the right side of an argument is another. Most of the time those to occupy the same space when they do that’s great. But sometimes they do not when they don’t that’s terrible.

The transmission in question was designed and built by Mercedes and used in Mercedes vehicles long before dodge got a hold of it. that is right.

Transmission fluid spec for the Mercedes version of this transmission will undoubtably work in the Chrysler version as well. That is right.

However when the transmission is installed in a Chrysler car covered by Chrysler warranty it’s a Chrysler transmission, and failure to use the designated fluids Chrysler says to use will put you in the wrong. No service advisor worth his salt will OK warranty claim for transmission problems on a transmission in which the owner has used transmission fluid that does not meet the specs of the manufacturer . Which is Chrysler in this case.

We could argue until we were blue in the face with the service advisor and tell him it’s a Mercedes transmission we don’t have to use with Chrysler says we have to use for transmission fluid. We might be right but we would be in the wrong and they would never OK a warranty claim made in such a scenario.

Now if the car is out of warranty I say go nuts! Use royal purple Lucas Emma soul ATF +4 anything you want or anything that works. But while it is still under warranty it would be foolish not to follow the rules that out by the company providing the warranty.

And finally at the risk of putting to find a point on all of this I would like to add one last suggestion for the OP. If you’re going to use Macs life then use Macs life. If you’re going to use ATF +4 can use ATF +4. However I would not mix and match between the two unless you were some sort of an emergency whether or not they both will work and I think that they will I think we can all agree If they are not the same fluid so mixing and matching could lead to I’m predictable results. And if there’s one thing you do not want an automatic transmission it’s unpredictability.

Nuke, Out!

Having owned a NAG1 in a jeep WK, Castrol ATF+4 is what I used. The only "universal" I would consider is amsoil.

-M

And after rereading what I just posted I think one thing is crystal clear: the dictation app on this phone is having trouble understanding my drawl. Either that or the dictation app is of poor quality but since this is an iPhone I am guessing the app is fairly high quality by now. Which brings us back to me and my southern drawl. I would have sworn I was a pretty good speaker and tinted more towards correct pronunciation than not. However the evidence appears to be mounting that maybe my drawl is more pronounced than I initially thought. You have my word that I will work on it.

Nuke, is now leaving the building!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back