Chrome Bumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked chrome bumpers, and all but one of my vehicles still have them. What I don't like is how chrome quality has degraded over the years. It started to drop off in the 70's and the quality was greatly reduced in the 80's. The chrome on modern (last 20 years) vehicles is terrible. It seems that the plating is much thinner and less durable.

That said, the old chrome bumpers like on my Torino (pre 1973 bumpers) couldn't take much of a hit without sustaining damage. They didn't protect the body very well either. The big heavy post 1973 chrome bumpers protected the cars well, but they weight a ton and aren't so pretty. They'd survive a hit, but the rubber bump strips would always break.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Am I the only one that misses shiney chrome bumpers?
21.gif

Nope. Though I don't have the money (ever), nor the car anylonger, I sort of miss my '80 Malibu. If I could afford to, I'd find one and restore it but not to the
37.gif
inducing extreme they do on "pimp my ride" or "nascar angels". I would have been able to do almost all the repairs on the car had I still had it. Not too much was computer-driven even in 1980. All I would have needed is a crate motor and a new tranny.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back