Chromatography Paper For Checking Soot/Dispersancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am considering using chromatography paper for spot-checking soot and dispersancy condition of the oil in my diesel equipment. I wonder if any of you out there do/have done this and have any comments of advice? Also, is there any special variety of chromatography paper is required? I see it for sale from many scientific supply websites, and even on eBay. Many thnks!

Do it quite often in the field. You don't need chromatography paper. Just get laboratory filter paper and you will accomplish the same level of separation. You can spot soot, fuel dilution and if you train your eye you can catch coolant contamination. The key is to get a representative sample and do a drop at set intervals. Basically you baseline from new oil condition to condemnation. The patches are cool because you can either take pictures of them to say this is normal/abnormal or you can just have a patch library. This is definitely an underutilized low buck technique. If you have a microscope and a magnet you can do a ghetto style ferrogram and look for large wear particles too.

Hi,
Jim _ I have been doing this for some decades. I initially used a specially treated "blotter" papaer put out by Shell. Now I use a good quality non impregnated "thicker" tissue type paper

Use the VO to ascertain what you will use as a visual baseline. Experience will allow you to make a reasonable assumption on the lubricant's condition

pickled - Sorry I just read what you said - sorry for the duplicate!

Last edited:
No problem Doug...looks like we are giving good consistent advice.
10.gif

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Jim _ I have been doing this for some decades. I initially used a specially treated "blotter" papaer put out by Shell. Now I use a good quality non impregnated "thicker" tissue type paper

Use the VO to ascertain what you will use as a visual baseline. Experience will allow you to make a reasonable assumption on the lubricant's condition

pickled - Sorry I just read what you said - sorry for the duplicate!

Doug,

Thanks! Nice to know I don't have to travel far for the paper. Wonder how plain old watercolor paper would do? I guess I'll try it too?

Would you please spell out VO for me?

Originally Posted By: BobFout
By VO I think he means "Virgin Oil".

Fully consume caffeinated beverage in AM before typing stupid question. Got it. Thanks! :) < )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back