Christmas gratuity

Just wondering what Christmas gratuity levels vary across the forum / region. I have garbage guys twice a week and recycling guys twice a month. I have yet to give them a gift. No particular reason. Just haven’t got to know them (recently replaced long term regulars.) But I did gift my long term USPS carrier $50 for a Christmas gift. Should I come up with something for the the other guys? Did I overgift the USPS too much. I’m almost 1/2 quart low on the Versa with 1000 miles to go for my next interval. Do I stretch it out or top it off ? Not easy being me😳

Used to give the mail lady a $25 gift card and the private trash company guys a case of Modelo or Dox Equis. But now the mail carrier changes weekly/daily, like no set routes, and since the trash went county contract, it's never the same crew.
A gratuity would go to whichever random person/people happen to show up.

Letter Carriers don't work on gratuity.
You tipped a good wage employee with a gold plated benefit package that gets to retire in his/her 50's with a government pension and retirement health insurance.

I tipped for giving me good service and encouraging the continuation of the same.
Christmas/New Year is just a customary time of year. I'm not even Christian LOL.
I look for things to like. Life is happier when I'm not finding fault with everything that doesn't matter, for example, whether or not someone else has a retirement fund. It's totally irrelevant, as are comments about what the mail lady and trashman make.
Scrooges abound.

I tipped my mail carrier a hundo. They've had to put up with a lot from every angle over the last year. Seemingly never-ending mandatory overtime, politics from above, abuse from the public.

Found out it's illegal-- $50/year, $20/event, and no cash, just gift cards is what you're supposed to do.

Carriers start at $19/hr here and it takes a while for them to get on a career-tracked position with all the benefits.

By regulation, Postal employees are not permitted to accept cash gifts but can accept gift cards up to $20 in value, unless that recently changed. However, I once knew a longtime letter carrier who served an affluent route and he never took a day off in December so he could clean up on holiday tips from his customers.

Last edited:
I only tip my cleaning people. They're great. They get tipped $200. If I knew the other folks I might tip them, too but it's never the same people. Even though I work from home, I don't interact with anyone else. The UPS guy is a blur, off his truck with packages to my porch and then back to the truck and gone.

I tip my cleaning lady, the trash/recycling and the mail carrier. Cleaning lady gets $100, mail and trash $20 or $25. I never see the mail carrier as we have a cluster mailbox at the entrance to my street but I noticed today she brought some packages all the way down to the house and my mail with it.

I give gifts to family and friends. I don’t want to spend more money than I have too. Our post man isn’t exactly the nicest person. Every time I’ve been outside working on something he gets angry cause his turn around spot is blocked halfway. And by halfway I about 2 feet out of the 6. Our garbage man is pretty good he waves at everyone but I don’t know him well enough to give him a gift he has been doing it for years. If I do give someone a gift it’s either money or gift cards because I don’t want to get something for someone and they not like it or already have it and I’m strongly against returning Christmas gifts so I don’t want anyone to do it to me. The only people I get real gifts for are my parents and my sister and her family. Sometimes my friends.

Just wondering what Christmas gratuity levels vary across the forum / region. I have garbage guys twice a week and recycling guys twice a month. I have yet to give them a gift. No particular reason. Just haven’t got to know them (recently replaced long term regulars.) But I did gift my long term USPS carrier $50 for a Christmas gift. Should I come up with something for the the other guys? Did I overgift the USPS too much. I’m almost 1/2 quart low on the Versa with 1000 miles to go for my next interval. Do I stretch it out or top it off ? Not easy being me😳
I think your tip for your USPS is spot on as we do too, love our letter carrier. You didn’t give too much.
I used to buy the sanitation guys a bottle or similar but no longer, I don’t know them any longer and not impressed enough too want to anymore.
Tipping at Christmas time is a feel good thing for the person giving the gift, that’s what it’s about, giving, there is no right or wrong.

Last edited:
I forget to to give a gift to our Mailman Lady. She brings packages all they way up our long drive way.
Ill have to ask the wife if she gifted them.

I enjoy tipping people. Especially for good service from a traditionally lower to medium paying profession.

The lady who cuts my hair is an awesome person and she does a great job. Regularly give her 30%+. However, some professions are not getting a tip from me regardless of service. I have a great lawyer, but that hourly rate is just gonna have to get her by, you feel me...

I’m going to write the Post Master General about an idea I have. Do away with tipping the Letter Carriers in the way it’s been done for eons. Sell a special first class forever gratuity stamp good only for one letter/ounce of postage for $10 each. Divide the sells of the gratuity stamps between all hourly postal employees. It won’t leave out the hard working postal employees like a mail sorter that works 3rd shift at a postal facility as an example.

I don't tip anyone like mail carriers, UPS or FedEx drivers, etc. I don't get residential mail delivery and have to take my own trash to the dump. But I still wouldn't tip those people. I figure they already get a fair union wage and benefits for what they do.

The lady who cuts my hair, restaurant workers or other people who depend upon tips is a different story. I tip them very well for good service when received.

Back