Christmas fare

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you huys cooking for Christmas lunch ?

I'll be taking a duck, and some pork to the inlaws, and cooking it on their BBQ.

Duck will be coated in cajun rub, and the pork will have crushed sea salt and rosemary rubbed into the crackle.

Both will be cooked in father inlaw's 6 burner covered BBQ, and at the mid point, I'll add the smoke box with some cherry wood chips.

Whatever I can find ringing around clubs and restaurants for vacancies today. Hopefully wife will be back home in time for Russian Xmas 7th January. Duck sounds good, my daughter loves Chinese Roast Duck.

Pig, young pig. That'll do pig. Some kind of cranberry, fruit and clove glaze - awesome.

Shrimp and all kinds of stuff for appetizers.

Two kinds of taters, greens, brussel sprouts...etc

Vintage beer....belch...

Strudel with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream...

sprintman,
what did you end up getting.

moribundman,
I've never had goose, but the two fat ladies (U.K. cooking show) swore by them...looked quite tasty when cooked.

Pablo,
was that a whole wee piggy ?
I read that there was a german tradition of feeding a piglett nothing but appples for a few weeks before a festive occasion, and serving the stomach contents as a sauce...then there's the pigturducken that I've read about also.

In my family, we tend not to go big on the appetizers and desserts, as there's birthday cake to get into after all of the other stuff has been squashed in.

BTW, father in law's home brew (first tapping in 3 months) was superb.

Went to Western Suburbs Rugby Union Club which I knew had a Xmas lunch on but sold out. Drove around Belconnen and noticed two cars outside the Pnomh Phen Cambodian we discoverd recently. Nobody there and air-con off. The lady owner chef appeared then and I asked if they were open. They were just in cleaning etc but said yes we could eat. The 'kid' asked for Prawn (Shrimp) skewers, interesting she flatly refuses to eat them normally, and vegetarian soup. MIA ordered Prawn toast and Plear Beef. I had mixed veg in curry and coconut cream sauce, some of the Plear Beef. Has to be the strangest xmas lunch we'll ever get !

Steve,
Jot down every detail, and make sure that it becomes one of those Christmasses that your daughter tells her Grand Kids about.

Must admit that I've never had a Cambodian Christmas .

Shannow, goose (with potatoes or bread dumplings and sauce) is the typical German Christmas roast. Goose has lot more taste than turkey, but it's also different from duck. Goose can have tough meat, so you have to pick well when choosing. Ask for the DOB, I guess.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back