Christian von Koenigsegg speaking about engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
I wonder how much money Castrol paid for the endorsement.

Is it really that hard to accept that Koenigsegg just might actually be that enthusiastic about the product?

I think he's being "honest" in the video. 1,300HP from 5 litres. Impressive. And given the low production rarity of Koenigsegg vehicles....we are talking complete custom, leading edge technology.

IMO, Koenigsegg had a business relationship with Castrol to help with some of Koenigsegg's developmental issues. A botique-y, specialty maker like Koenigsegg needs specialized partners to help them with certain minute issues. Castrol helped Koenigsegg solve problems and/or provide guidance regarding lubrication.

You can bet Koenigsegg used some very exotic adhesives, and they had a partner for that. But that partner, unlike Castrol, is not after the consumer side of business - hence no video.

IMO, he didn't sell out in the video. Instead, he was acknowledging Castrol's technical support.

Scott

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Is it really that hard to accept that Koenigsegg just might actually be that enthusiastic about the product?

just easier to accept that he's enthusiastic about the size of the Check(Cheque) castrol Cut him....

He should've used Smitty's SuperS Multi-Flo
27.gif

Advertorial, nothing more
we have lots of "extreme metal" (titanium) in our cars, and now in our engine oils.

Not a single fact laid on the table...

If he was enthusiastic about oil, he'd be quoting 101.

But it's cool he can use Megawatt, when talking about his engines. (Most I've ever done is 747MW on lowly mineral ISO32 with no titanium)

When I saw this thread I was reminded of an episode that Christian Koenigsegg appeared in on Jay Leno's Garage.

Granted, this isn't the One:1 but, in this video he couldn't seem to care less about which engine oil they were using. And he claimed it wasn't Castrol but, Valvoline. Take a look here: https://youtu.be/FEmG0gSUBhQ?t=11m18s

We've all probably seen the /Drive series "Inside Koenigsegg" that details their design and build process. While it's possible that they've discovered some new capability with Castrol Edge, this seems more like a marketing ploy. Especially since just a few months ago, he couldn't have been less concerned with the oil going in another one of their cars.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
I think he's being "honest" in the video. 1,300HP from 5 litres. Impressive. And given the low production rarity of Koenigsegg vehicles....we are talking complete custom, leading edge technology.

IMO, Koenigsegg had a business relationship with Castrol to help with some of Koenigsegg's developmental issues. A botique-y, specialty maker like Koenigsegg needs specialized partners to help them with certain minute issues. Castrol helped Koenigsegg solve problems and/or provide guidance regarding lubrication.

You can bet Koenigsegg used some very exotic adhesives, and they had a partner for that. But that partner, unlike Castrol, is not after the consumer side of business - hence no video.

IMO, he didn't sell out in the video. Instead, he was acknowledging Castrol's technical support.

Scott

I agree.

Castrol worked with him and now he returns favor.

If any money changed hand from Castrol to him, it was just icing on a cake.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
No mention of viscosity??

Koenigsegg website says "5W30 full synthetic racing" whatever that means in this case.
Valvoline Europe website still carries images of the CCR.

As others have said Castrol was likely a partner ($ and expertise) in the non-recurring engineering cost of the One in exchange for marketing benefits. As for Valvoline - apparently they felt they had gotten all the benefit they could from the CCR partnership and were unwilling to pay for more benefit and/or not willing to pay as much as Castrol.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Koenigsegg website says "5W30 full synthetic racing" whatever that means in this case.

That sounds just like how someone "ordinary" (i.e. a non-BITOGer) would describe something. To us, over course, we want a lot more information and description than that.

"If he was enthusiastic about oil, he'd be quoting 101" I would then loose all respect for the mans accomplishments.

Having met and had dinner with Christian and his chief test driver, I can tell you that nothing is done unless it gives them a technical benefit. The ethos inside Koenigsegg is clear - let's make it the best we can, then make it better. And then better again. Some of the solutions they have designed to overcome driving or handling issues are ingenious. Take the Regera for example - an ICE is flawed (no zero-rev torque). A transmission is a compromise - extra weight and inefficiency you need only because of the limited rev and torque band of an ICE. So let's lose the transmission altogether and fill the gap with an electric motor - direct drive, continuous torque from stop to Vmax.

He doesn't need the money, but he does need to make the best car he can conceive.

Amazing how hard people will fight to continue believing bad things about others.

Originally Posted By: weasley
Having met and had dinner with Christian and his chief test driver, I can tell you that nothing is done unless it gives them a technical benefit. The ethos inside Koenigsegg is clear - let's make it the best we can, then make it better. And then better again. Some of the solutions they have designed to overcome driving or handling issues are ingenious. Take the Regera for example - an ICE is flawed (no zero-rev torque). A transmission is a compromise - extra weight and inefficiency you need only because of the limited rev and torque band of an ICE. So let's lose the transmission altogether and fill the gap with an electric motor - direct drive, continuous torque from stop to Vmax.

He doesn't need the money, but he does need to make the best car he can conceive.

I'm going to repost my response to similar reasoning recently.

Line at the bottom of P2 says that the information was provided by Penrite...so a sort of advertorial of sorts.

Which is weird that they only focused on the zinc, as the Penrite signature ad pack for the racing oils is

2960 ppm Ca
630 ppm B
100ppm Mo
1760ppm Zn
---------------------------------------

The point is often made here that our beloved oil analyses are indicators only and only evaluating the oil in practice yields the "truth" such as it is. The gist of Kojima's article is about the transition of addpacks into this new fuel economy and catalytic regime. And the fact that, in retrospection, since that time engine builders like himself and others are seeing more oil related failures caused by increased wear.

He references Zinc too much I agree but it's just an indicator to him. Something is afoot with regard to failures and they are groping to understand why. To me it sounded a bit analogous to the sometimes troublesome transition to the various syns in the early 70's until they got their formulations down. With the myriad variations we are seeing in the oils of this new generation/regime/requirement, call it what you will, it appears to me that there is a whole lot of Beta testing going on. We ain't there yet in this lower zinc/lower phosphate world.

Mola is right, the guy is no chemist. He is an extremely talented racer/engineer/engine builder and knows that something is up with his lubrication. He is shilling no more for Pennrite in his Land Speed Race Car than Koenigsegg was for Castrol. Neither, in my estimation, would find it appropriate to outright lie about the products they are partnered with or completely sell out. Not happening.

Having been in competitive engineering marketing all my life I have learned to look through the [censored] to see if there is something to be gleaned there or not. Succumbing to the immediate knee-jerk temptation to diss information without a close look even when the source is unknown to you is poor intelligence analysis and you will miss ideas you might have benefited from. Vacuum all the data up and then sort and grind it, there will be plenty of time to call [censored] if indeed that's all it is. You can't do that in the first five seconds. Just my little bit.

Originally Posted By: 90crvtec
When I saw this thread I was reminded of an episode that Christian Koenigsegg appeared in on Jay Leno's Garage.

Granted, this isn't the One:1 but, in this video he couldn't seem to care less about which engine oil they were using. And he claimed it wasn't Castrol but, Valvoline. Take a look here: https://youtu.be/FEmG0gSUBhQ?t=11m18s

We've all probably seen the /Drive series "Inside Koenigsegg" that details their design and build process. While it's possible that they've discovered some new capability with Castrol Edge, this seems more like a marketing ploy. Especially since just a few months ago, he couldn't have been less concerned with the oil going in another one of their cars.

I remember this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back