Choosing the right oil for the cold. With a video!

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK.
The OM for my old BMW recommends 10W-30 down to down to -30C.
We had lows down to the range you quoted last winter and my younger son's old Legacy started just fine on the HM 10W-30 that was in it.
Had I anticipated a winter as cold and as long as the one we had, I would have put something lighter in it.
We've had cars that lived outside that we started at temperatures as low as -30C on 10W-40 dinos of the mide 'eighties and early 'nineties.
Thinner grades are certainly prefered for very cold temperatures, but an engine will still start and circulate oil of thicker grades.

O ya no doubt the cars started just fine. Honestly my in-laws who own 2 HD trucks among other vehicles never used anything other than 15w40.

Those big diesels started just fine in the same temps again due to a maintained charging/starting system.

Barring some freak failure if you maintain the systems the car will start but the wear will likely increase. On the starting system and the engine itself.

Liking the concept of the thread, and looking at the other end of the world (dif), in particular

Amazing how bad the 80W looks, but it is tried 15C below what it's rated for.

Thanks for posting Shannow

That post, and indeed this thread raise three points:

Firstly, that fella should be a lead anchor for a local newcast!

Second, synthetic gear oil FTW Ester gear oils are just the best!

Third, don't use any lubricant below it's rated temperature.

Does that about cover it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back