Choosing the Best Oil While Cleaning With Auto-Rx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Choosing the Best Oil while Motor Cleaning With Auto-Rx

Simple, conventional, mineral oil, sometimes called dino oil, works best for the cleaning phase and rinse phase of an Auto-Rx motor cleansing. With conventional motor oil there are no polar ingredients attracting oil to metal surfaces. This is important in facilitating the released of dissolved contaminants to be carried away by the host motor oil. With a recommended 2,500 mile run for cleaning with Auto-Rx installed, and an important 3,000 mile rinse phase, running conventional oil for these relatively short oil change intervals, will also save you money. Whenever possible, this recommendation will maximize the effectiveness of your Auto-Rx cleaning application.

The engine protection offered by conventional oil over a 3,000 mile oil change interval is equal to a more costly full synthetic. Motors that are specified for synthetic only, are due to a corresponding long drain interval. By long drain interval, we mean 5,000 to 10,000 miles. For those that can not find the proper spec conventional motor oil, we suggest running a group III synthetic oil, which is merely ultra refined conventional oil.

The use of a conventional mineral oil is essential in addressing seal leak issues.

Once your motor has been cleaned and rinsed the Auto-Rx maintenance dose works extremely well with any motor oil of your choice. In conventional oils, additional cleansing will occur, as well as providing supplemental lubricity, as well as neutralizing acidic formations. In synthetics, the maintenance dose supports a healthy TBN(total base number) and has shown to reduce wear metals.

From the times I have used it I have had "marginally" better results from Pennzoil Platinum versus conventional dino, but I think for the cost difference you are 100% right!
thumbsup2.gif

One of the challenges is that over the years since ARX became popular here, it's become hard to find a basic oil. When I first read about it here, you could still buy Group II oils commonplace. Now with API SM, everything seems to be group III and it can be hard to tell what will interfere with ARX and what will not.

Frank@ARX has been happy to confirm via email if a particular oil has good compatibility or not. On one hand, buy what's cheap and still meets the requirements of your engine if you have something fussy. On another hand, I found myself drawn to HDEOs for the high detergency and dispersant levels (I needed a heavy 30 or a 40 anyways).

If in doubt, just ask Frank. See what your local Costco or Walmart has and it'll probably be fine.

I used Esso XD3 15W40 for both my clean and rinse. On my dad's car we used GTX 10W40 for clean and Rotella-T 15W40 for rinse. All were on the shelf at Walmart in gallon jugs I believe.

Last edited:
I just went and got 6 quarts of ORileys house brand 10W30. It was like 1.99 a quart dumped all six quarts and a bottle of auto RX in the truck.

took my time and let it come up to temp, then preceded to drive it like it was stolen!!! 85 mph up the biggest hill in 25 miles. full throttle entrances to the highways.

IN the 5o miles since i did the oil change and added auto RX the truck runs noticeably better at idle and the once quite suspect oil pressure gauge is starting to resume semi normal business hours.

Originally Posted By: Dualie
I just went and got 6 quarts of ORileys house brand 10W30. It was like 1.99 a quart dumped all six quarts and a bottle of auto RX in the truck.

took my time and let it come up to temp, then preceded to drive it like it was stolen!!! 85 mph up the biggest hill in 25 miles. full throttle entrances to the highways.

IN the 5o miles since i did the oil change and added auto RX the truck runs noticeably better at idle and the once quite suspect oil pressure gauge is starting to resume semi normal business hours.

Wow that was fast for A-rX to work, at least from what I've read and heard. You think it could also be from the agressive driving. Maybe it was more of the "Italian Tune-Up" effect? OTOH I'm not sure it the "ITU" would effect the OP gauge?

Either way glad your truck is running better!

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1

Wow that was fast for A-rX to work, at least from what I've read and heard. You think it could also be from the agressive driving. Maybe it was more of the "Italian Tune-Up" effect? OTOH I'm not sure it the "ITU" would effect the OP gauge?

Either way glad your truck is running better!

AD

My moms car had a squeel in the transmission that she had been living with for months. I added 6oz of Auto RX and drove it. The squeel was reduced by 95% in about 1 mile. Sometimes it works just that quickly.

I'm sure the Italian tune up had a lot to do with it actually. The truck does lead a pretty lazy life. The auto RX seems to be helping with the oil pressure remaining more constant.

Just dissected the old FL-1A filter removed from the truck when the oil was changed and the RX was dropped in.

The filter has a fair amount of sludge caught up in it smelled fuel diluted. I should have pulled a UOA on it but it was to late by the time I thought about it.

I cut open the PRE auto RX filter and its pretty nasty. IDK how the thing got that bad. The pre auto RX filter had a fair amount of sludge in it.

I'm thinking about what oil to use as a rinse. At this time I think im just going to use Delo 400 as that's what everything else around here runs on.

Perhaps the Italian Tune-Up is what made the difference -- it had nothing to do with the oil or oil additive.

Many will say sythetic, but on 3000 to 4000 mile OCI's they would be hard pressed to show better protection. The big gain in synthetics seem to be that you can extend the oil change interval somewhat and that it has a better pour point for extreme cold weather starts.

With respect to cleaning with Auto-Rx, regular conventional oil works best. Plenty of good oil protection at a much lower price for 3000 mile oil chages during the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back