Choosing Next Oil

I come and go on this forum, mostly reading but I do like to hear opinions on my next oil purchase. I will admit that I am an oil snob and like to use the boutique oils, even though I'm changing oil at approximately 7k miles per the oil reminder. I'm also a water and coffee snob, according to friends and family. haha

Vehicles: 2006 Ford F150 4.6L V8 and 2017 Honda CRV 1.5L Turbo (still under warranty, but not worried about using other oils *knock on wood*)
Current Oil: High Performance Lubricants Passenger Oil, 0W-20
Previous Oils: Schaeffer 0W-20 and Amsoil 0W-30

I choose one oil for both vehicles. I want to use a 5W-30 this go around and I do have to worry about LSPI with the CRV. So what do you think? Stick with High Performance Lubricants or venture off to something else?

Thanks,

Vince

I would just go name brand 5w-30 / 0w-30 full synthetic. I don't see the benefit of buying boutique oils.

My two Fords run very smooth and quiet on Valvoline HM FS 5W30, both originally spec'd for 5W20. This oil is thin for a 30 grade so I don't worry about flow, and it is SP certified for LSPI.

Hello Neighbor.

0w-20 isn't particularly great in that 1.5L Turbo:

Do you have any issues with the oil level rising between changes (with fuel dilution)? That being said im sure thousands upon thousands of these vehicles are being run with 0w-20 and will likely live a long time. Personally, I'd try a Euro 5w-30 and see how it runs. The extra viscosity wont hurt anything in our Phoenix heat.

The Ford wont care what you put in it realistically.

This is the best deal out there.

1626290836503.jpg

Haha, some good response. I know I'm wasting monies with the boutique oils, just something I've always done with my vehicles. I'm not a big fan of the whole "schmamsoil" so that's why I moved onto HPL after reading about them here. I'll look into the ones mentioned though, I do have a little time to make a decision.

I saw HPL HDMO mentioned. I'm always so worried running that in the CRV since I have to worry about LSPI and it not being dexos. Would it be a concern?

Haha, some good response. I know I'm wasting monies with the boutique oils, just something I've always done with my vehicles. I'm not a big fan of the whole "schmamsoil" so that's why I moved onto HPL after reading about them here. I'll look into the ones mentioned though, I do have a little time to make a decision.

I saw HPL HDMO mentioned. I'm always so worried running that in the CRV since I have to worry about LSPI and it not being dexos. Would it be a concern?
High moly cancels out high calcium.

The 10W20 is very shear stable, with excellent range, viscosity, HTHS, all that stuff, for both your engines.

Back