Chonda 3300PSI horizontal shaft Pressure Washer @ Newegg $269

Best price I've seen on a pressure washer in a good while. I don't see these getting cheaper anytime soon.

Yes, it's a Chonda, but in my experience they tend to be fairly reliable and easy to source parts. A recent Amazon review suggests the engine is made by Rato, which if true, isn't a bad thing as they're fairly well known and make engines for a lot of OEMs. But it's the same basic Honda clone recipe with cast iron sleeve and dual ball bearings.

The pump is perhaps of dubious quality (price would seem to suggest so), but being horizontally mounted, wouldn't be hard to change if it goes belly up one day. I don't see any value in a brand name (for the machine); most are using much the same Chinese engines and components in machines two or three times the price. I simply don't use one enough to justify a $500+ machine. My current pressure washer (a 2600 PSI unit with Kohler engine) I bought for $169 on a Black Friday special and it's lasted me over ten years now, should get some money out of selling it. This should be a decent upgrade, at least I'm crossing my fingers and hoping so!

I'll be a guinea pig on this one, if it makes it through shipping, I can't see it not being worth the price.

JHZR2

Staff member
I think I’d take the Kohler engine.

How many gpm does your old one flow, vs the new one? I’d prefer gpm over psi.

92saturnsl2

I think I’d take the Kohler engine.

How many gpm does your old one flow, vs the new one? I’d prefer gpm over psi.
I'm the opposite, I'll take a 20% larger horizontal shaft Honda-clone engine over the vertical shaft Kohler any day. The vertical shaft Kohler Courage XT engines are outsourced to China, and often regarded as cheap junk. It's been a good engine though, I don't expect to see a huge difference in quality/longevity between the two.

The new one flows 2.6gpm versus the old one at 2.3. Not a huge difference, but the extra PSI will make some projects I intend to tackle this spring, easier.

JTK

That's about as low a price as you'll find for a horizontal shaft gas powered unit of that capacity. I see a maybe 2-3 similar units on walmart.com for under $300.

I like Newegg. I've bought a lot of electronics from them over the years.

JHZR2

Staff member
I'm the opposite, I'll take a 20% larger horizontal shaft Honda-clone engine over the vertical shaft Kohler any day. The vertical shaft Kohler Courage XT engines are outsourced to China, and often regarded as cheap junk. It's been a good engine though, I don't expect to see a huge difference in quality/longevity between the two.

The new one flows 2.6gpm versus the old one at 2.3. Not a huge difference, but the extra PSI will make some projects I intend to tackle this spring, easier.

I missed that the older one is vertical.
I agree. Getting 2.6gpm out of the new one vs 2.3 from the old, and higher pressure says it all…

GON

$50 Site Donor
Real comments in this thread, thanks.

Last Monday 11OCT2021 came across a cheap Koehler powered gas power washer at Sams Club. Normally $249, on clearance at $199. Just need this to last two years. Purchased it as I have a concern about availability, and price seemed good.

Had no idea Kohler engines are not all the same, and some are made in China. And the horizontal and vertical shaft differences.

IMG_20211011_165333_01.jpg
PXL_20211011_205342694.jpg

92saturnsl2

Real comments in this thread, thanks.

Last Monday 11OCT2021 came across a cheap Koehler powered gas power washer at Sams Club. Normally $249, on clearance at $199. Just need this to last two years. Purchased it as I have a concern about availability, and price seemed good.

Had no idea Kohler engines are not all the same, and some are made in China. And the horizontal and vertical shaft differences.

View attachment 74358 View attachment 74359
That's a very good deal. The XTX675 engine is 149cc and Kohler's marketing says it never needs an oil change-- just top ups.

I have the XT-7 in my old one which is 173cc and it's been trouble free over 10 years. I had some stumbling issues under load a year or two ago but a new spark plug fixed it. My only real complaint is that it has always run with what sounds like a slight miss when the choke is completely off even at operating temps. Engaging the choke just a little smooths it right out. Probably set too lean from the factory. Always starts with one pull.

Reactions: GON