Choking - what to do if alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
25 years ago, I was co-habitating with a girlfriend and a number of friends. I was eating a pickled onion, and it just sort of slid down my neck, and stopped at around adams apple height. Too big to go down.

Wasn't hugely panicked,until I tried to breathe in...may as well been trying to inhale through saran...no biggie, I could do 30m underwater at the time, so had plenty of time...tried to exhale and no luck either.

Became a little worried, and did a quick assessment and realised that only a few tens of seconds had passed (if that), and there was another minute or so of consciousness to get stuff sorted (1:45 to 1:55 was my endurance limit back then)..all calm, and everything in slow motion.

Fingers in neck, couldn't vomit, a glass of water (????), swallowing all o no effect.

Was working out if I had enough time to leave my girlfriend a note, when I decided to ram my diaphragm into a breakfast bar bench...onion just slid out, and had the sweetest gulp of air in my life.

As a parent, one who has saved one from choking twice, I've always been worried about them alone.

Then this was sent to me today...and I want to spread it....

http://www.activistpost.com/2014/02/how-to-save-yourself-if-you-choke-alone.html#!bicChQ

Thanks for posting.......I have also heard about leaning over a chair but this looks interesting.

BITOG is a tough crowd.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
My parents simply taught me to chew my food and take smaller bites.

And they didn't teach you the Bates methods of eyesight protection, or how to have family fun with fireworks ???

That's one to remember.

Stuff happens. I remember once when I was younger, I had a piece of hard candy in my mouth. I was swishing it around my mouth, as one does with hard candy. Well, I inadvertently swished it to the back of my mouth and an automatic swallow reflex kicked in. My throat just reflexively went "gulp" and the candy was gone, just gone. Fortunately, it was just small enough and slippery enough that it made it to the stomach. A little bigger candy and it would have been a bad day. These things happen, be prepared.

Thanks for posting, I'll give it a quick (gentle) practice.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
BITOG is a tough crowd.

It takes a unique talent deciding to turn a learning opportunity about personal safety into something that sounds condescending and pretentious; not too BITOG'rs have that.

Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
BITOG is a tough crowd.

You can always trust Pop to be good for some morning chuckle.

Shannow, thanks a lot for posting this!

I guess people should learn not to have high cholesterol levels, and not get heart disease, no reason to learn CPR.

Some things you post, i agree with. Then you post some things that are so condescending. I have to think that either you are trying to put them down or make them angry.

There are reasons someone could choke, some reduced swallowing abilities due to a stroke, being surprised/alarmed suddenly. etc.
Cardiac syncope that occurs while having a mouthful of food. I have seen someone donate blood, sit at the table afterwards and while chewing, pass out.

Please think before you post some of these statements.

Last edited:
I once choked on a candy "life saver" (yeah I know the irony) while driving...I pulled over and got out and slammed my chest into the car front fender and out it came. Pretty much the same concept...it worked well as that thing flew out of my throat.

37.gif

At home I'd use a high back hard chair or table edge. Wow, shannon, you can hold your breath for 30 minutes under water. I was lucky to be able to do 90 seconds in my prime.:))

Last edited:
Great story. Thanks for the video; I will pass it along.

X2 Thank you

Originally Posted By: Shaman

div>

Why would you rob yourself of the laughter?

Originally Posted By: spasm3

I guess people should learn not to have high cholesterol levels, and not get heart disease, no reason to learn CPR.

Some things you post, i agree with. Then you post some things that are so condescending. I have to think that either you are trying to put them down or make them angry.

There are reasons someone could choke, some reduced swallowing abilities due to a stroke, being surprised/alarmed suddenly. etc.
Cardiac syncope that occurs while having a mouthful of food. I have seen someone donate blood, sit at the table afterwards and while chewing, pass out.

Please think before you post some of these statements.

There must be something wrong with all of us if Pop Rivit never choked on food in his whole entire life!

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

There must be something wrong with all of us if Pop Rivit never choked on food in his whole entire life!

LOL.....this should be an infomercial!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back