Choices-Decisions St or QSUD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally found where to recycle used oil near where we moved. I had accumulated about 5-6 oil changes on our three cars and the container was full.

I've been doing 6000 mile OCI with Super Tech 5w-20 FS. I switched to ST FS about two OCIs ago. Have been using Motorcraft FL500S filters.
This is for my car: 2009 Lincoln MKX just hitting the 100K mark.
In Walmart I saw ST 0W-20 HM FS and QSUD 0W-20... $2.00 difference. ST FS HM is $15.98 QSUD FS is $17.98. I went with the ST FS HM and a ST filter for $3.00 for my next OC. Zero leaks, quiet, my SUV has been running great but the QSUD seems like a bargain.
I've still got 3K miles before my next OC on that car. Is the ST FS HM 0W-20 the way to go? Spec by Ford is 5w-20... but my next OC will take me through the Winter here in SE PA and 0W-20 is a positive change I think.

Next up is my wife's 2016 Lexus ES 350 with 25K on it and balance of factory warranty.
I bought the OEM Toyota filter cartridge and the filter wrench but have held out on the oil as it was changed when we bought the car in April. I am thinking that the 0W-20 QSUD would be perfect for the Lexus when I do a 5000 mile OC in probably October. That would likely be almost an annual OCI as the car doesn't really get driven much.... Maybe 6500 miles per year and Lexus says 7500 mile OCIs.

Thoughts /input?

Last edited:
I've been using the QSUD just because the price is $17.98. Otherwise, I'll use ST.
However since 0W20 is often out of stock in many brands, If I can can't get one, I'll get the other.
If I can't get either, I'll get the next price oil up such as PP at $22.97.
But, I usually try not to buy the last minute

Your vehicles will notice no difference between either one.

If the day ever comes that I don't have a clearance/rebate oil stash, ST is what I will buy.
It will do what is needed for any standard OCI for 95% of the vehicles out there, and is cheap.

QSUD is a good oil though, and would have no trouble using it (and have used it in the past)

I would run 5w30 (year-round) in the Lincoln. Quaker State is a better oil than Supertech. Well worth the $2 difference in price.
Stick with the manufacturers 5W recommendations. Go to 5W20 in the Lexus. Yes, there's an allowance of 0W20 there. But 5W20 is what I'd run in the Lexus.

At least for the past several years QSUD has offered $1.60 rebates per quart - $8 per jug. I've used that numerous times. To those that pooh-pooh rebates, then buy the ST at $2 per jug less. I prefer the QSUD especially since I've been able to get it at around $12/jug net after rebate. My 3 yr stash is down to 1 yr.....so I'm going to have to restock later this year.

Last edited:
No difference at all in your OCI and driving habits. If you don't mind dealing with the rebate poo poo, then get the QS. Otherwise, grab the ST and roll. Your cars will be happy either way, for a long long time.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I've been using the QSUD just because the price is $17.98. Otherwise, I'll use ST.
However since 0W20 is often out of stock in many brands, If I can can't get one, I'll get the other.
If I can't get either, I'll get the next price oil up such as PP at $22.97.
But, I usually try not to buy the last minute

That is exactly what happened with me and I got the last QSUD on the shelf in 0W-20. $19.99

$19.99 is sort of a cut-off point of mine. Anything over that and it becomes a waste, any car needing something special will get something special from Amazon not something off the shelf at Walmart. Unless it is a last minute, right now thing, which almost never happens.

I previously ran the ST for 10.5K OCI and it was just fine, wanted to give the QSUD a shot in that application this time... Variety is the spice of life, after all. If they were out of the QSUD I would have got an ST in either the 5W-20 and 5W-30 as a last resort if they were out of the 5W-20. QSUD was the 0W-20 as mentioned, this again inconsequential.

Originally Posted by donnyj08
Originally Posted by Marco620
Qsud all day.

+1 Not Even Close.

On my "to-try" list along with Castrol Magnatec which is prob around the same price point I'm guessing. At least within a few bucks of each other. Want to see which one is quieter since the 14 yr. old Toyota runs pretty noisy by design. Can def tell the difference btwn a 20 wt and a 30 wt oil in the sump.

theres usually a xxw20 on most oil filler caps BUT a look at the owners manual reveals that 5-30 or 10-30 are viable accepted options while many of the SAME engines in europe spec 5-40! USA wants the 1/4 mpg while in europe longer engine life is more important + surely a brand name oil will prolly be a bit better but ST if fine at its price + its popularity may be influencing big name big advertised oils to drop pricing!!

Originally Posted by Toros
I'm less than satisfied with these responses overall. I must say.

That's because you are happily married to Supertech.
I'm not sure why you even started this thread. You had your mind made-up already, prior to your first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back