Choices, choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For most GM applications:

Esso XD-3 Extra 0W-30 and FleetGuard LF3554 at $10.86 for the filter and $26.62 for five litres (5.2 quarts) of oil. Before taxes, it is a total of $37.48 (less than five litres of Mobil 1). The filter is in stock at the local Cummins shop, and the oil is in stock on the shelf at the local UFA.

FleetGuard's Stratopore line use a very similar filter media to the Amsoil EaO and are of similar quality construction.

Amsoil SSO and an EaO23 shipped here (local Amsoil dealer only carries powersport products) is $75.55 plus shipping, at 1 year/15,000 miles would I see twice as good of performance?

It's not a knock on Amsoil, it is as much seeing the results time and again from that XD-3 and a filter made with similar intent and wondering what the performance compared to each other could be like. If somebody had two identical vehicles running in identical conditions, I would just about be willing to pay for three runs of each and the UOAs to compare.

XD-3 0W-30 has to be one of the sleeper oil bargains out there. Group IV base oils ( PAO), TBN of 12.2 -- the same TBN as Amsoil's 5W-30 ASL (12.2).

I think this oil could be used in place of almost any Eurospec synthetic oil that requires a HTHS of 3.5 (A3). In fact, if one has a (MB, Audi, VW) this would be a good choice as opposed to hunting around for a Euro oil that meets the specific specifications. One has to think XD-3 is up there with the top notch oils.

A friend is moving back from Barrhead AB to the States next week; I'm seriously thinking of asking him to "import" a case for me.

Last edited:
Have him go to the UFA and pick up a case of four five litre jugs of Polar Plus 0W-30, it comes in five rather than four litre jugs so it's better for most oil changes and slightly cheaper than what Esso charges for the exact same product.

It'll be about $114 for 20 litres, or about 21.1 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back