Choice of 3 oils for my 08 CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 3 jugs of 5W20 sitting on a shelf in my garage (bought during various sales). My CRV is at 30% oil life remaining on the MM (8,500kms on the odo), but I'm getting the itch. Choices are:

Quaker State Peak Performance
Motomaster Formula 1 conventional (Mfg by Shell)
Walmart's Tech 2000 (Mfg by Safety Kleen Canada)

I'd look at the spec sheets and use the one that's got the highest viscosity at operating temperatures for the summer season.
I believe the QS is in the low 8 range so its on the thinner side.

Originally Posted By: D189379
I'd mix equal parts of all 3.

I wouldn't do that, he'd end up with three partial jugs.

To the OP- It doesn't matter one bit which you use. But you already know that, I'm sure :)

take your pick. Your honda 2.4 will last too long regardless of oil choice if maintained according to the manual.

Not much of a difference, with the QS maybe being the best. So I'd say to use the other 2 up first in shorter intervals and then maybe later extend a hair on the QS.

The Motomaster oil is a very, very good oil. Patman's done a UOA on it in his wife's Civic, and it was good.....

Originally Posted By: pbm
I'd look at the spec sheets and use the one that's got the highest viscosity at operating temperatures for the summer season.
I believe the QS is in the low 8 range so its on the thinner side.

+1

Originally Posted By: addyguy
The Motomaster oil is a very, very good oil. Patman's done a UOA on it in his wife's Civic, and it was good.....

I know it is produced by Shell Canada, but so are the other three Motomaster oils (Supreme, NuGold & Autolab). I wonder if the additive pack is the difference? The label says that F1 has the synthetic "Wearguard" included. Perhaps it is similar to Formula Shell? Then again, QS is also a Shell product. Confusing to say the least. I've read that the Honda MM in the CRV usually goes about 12,000kms before it calls for a change, so I'm looking for a conventional oil that is going to hold up well. I'll check the spec sheets on each one as recommended.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back