Chipped brake pad still good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

I just received some brake pads from RockAuto. Upon inspection I noticed one of them has a little chip in the pad material. Is this still good to use or should I return it?

Looks like you also have a chip on the lower portion just to the right of the midpoint.

If it we're me I'd return them just out of principle.

What brand are they?

RockAuto's infamous warehouse closeout deals. I already paid 75% less than at a brick and mortar store. This is the first time seeing a chipped pad. It's a pretty small chip.

One thing excellent about RockAuto is the moment the FedEx guy weighs the package going back, your new part is shipped. That's why it's important to ship the package as the same weight as you received it.

The chips are pretty shallow. If it was just my car, I would put them on, then pull them off after 1000 miles to check on the chips, just for fun. If anybody else drove the car, it would get new, chipless pads.

Take a closer look for any cracking/separation of the friction material from the backing plate...if none exists, put 'em on the car...nothing wrong with that little ding. I've been in the R&D business for a brake parts manufacturer for 14 years...What you see there is simply a result of rough handling.

Originally Posted By: lbhsbz
Take a closer look for any cracking/separation of the friction material from the backing plate...if none exists, put 'em on the car...nothing wrong with that little ding. I've been in the R&D business for a brake parts manufacturer for 14 years...What you see there is simply a result of rough handling.

+1

I would return them. The chipping might indicate a quality problem with the pad and it's not something you want to prove at high speeds when you need it the most. Brakes are not something you want to fool around with. JMO
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Can't say I've ever seen painted pad material.

Yeh, I wondered about that.

But it'll be special, high friction, non-contaminationg paint...

wont it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back