Chinese weather warfare

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the buzz on the TV at the moment.

Miraculously, a huge thunderstorm washed Beijing's smog away overnight, leaving blue skies and astounded reporters.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/beijing_olympics/story/0,27313,24098926-5014197,00.html

Quote:
BEIJING can see clearly now the rain has gone. And Games organisers are thanking the heavens for a thunderstorm that washed their worries away. The question now is whether the intervention was divine or human.

The host city was yesterday bathed in glorious sunlight, revealing a skyline that had been invisible for the past week.
As the world's media converged on a Games city blanketed in pollution, Beijing's leaders were under increasing pressure to take action.

On Monday, the Government announced it was considering drastic measures including shutting yet more factories and sweeping 90 per cent of Beijing's cars off the road.

Then, early yesterday, with a powerful thunderclap, came the downpour organisers were praying for.

There was speculation last night the Government had employed its "weather changing" weapons - rockets loaded with silver iodide that aim to spark sudden, cleansing rainfall.

Talking heads on the idjit box are reporting from China that the rumour is that the much talked about artillery placements are rumoured to be loaded with silver iodide and dry ice.

Eco-reactionaries. I guess it's cheaper than building srubbers. No ..wait! They have over a billion human scrubbers. I've heard that natural and/or organic solutions are always the preferred way to cope with such things.

We just can't make it get warmer .....
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
What, it never rained before in China?
It needs a conspiracy theory?

Yes ..but it's always be Brack Rain.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
What, it never rained before in China?
It needs a conspiracy theory?

http://www.newsday.com/services/newspape...0,2524617.story

Quote:
Manipulation of weather "can help give us some assurances" because even the most advanced technology can't reliably forecast conditions more than three days ahead of the event, the China Meteorological Administration's spokesman Yu Xinwen said at a news briefing.

"We need to make ample preparations and we also need to hope for good weather on Aug. 8," Yu said, declining to say what would be tried.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Exactly!

And shame on me for thinking weather and climate are somehow different.
grin2.gif

The difference between weather and climate is a measure of time. Weather is what conditions of the atmosphere are over a short period of time, and climate is how the atmosphere "behaves" over relatively long periods of time.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Sometimes it's hard to get the simplest of things through to you.
13.gif

No, MarkC likes to pretend he's talking down to people. Kinda gets him as far as Al Gore, but without the money. I find it silly and rather pretentious, without the wit and humor of mori.

"No, MarkC likes to pretend he's talking down to people. Kinda gets him as far as Al Gore, but without the money. I find it silly and rather pretentious, without the wit and humor of mori." Pablo

Even as dull as I am, I'd noticed that also.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back