Chinese quality control is job #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the whole time the new trans was in on the '14 there was this random fluid leakage. They checked it out and the fill plug was loose, tightened it and all was ok for a few days. Then the puddles started again. Finally brought it in today to check on the mysterious fluid, and at first they claimed it was a rear main seal that I obviously damaged on one of the two oil changed I did myself. Well thanks to the superior quality control in the Chinese factory that assembles the MT-82, they forgot to install the input shaft seal before installing the throwout bearing at the assembly plant.

I am willing to bet a US or Canadian, heck even a Mexican made, Tremec T-56/TR-6060 has never had this problem. So not happy with this car.

Something that needs to be said is that vendors, even Tier 1 grade, are pinching pennies and cutting corners to such excess that the products are suffering quite a bit now for it. I work at a OEM vendor that is Tier 2 and it is simply stunning the stuff that is going on now.

So how long were you driving with low fluid? I'd make sure the tranny gets a free extended warranty from Ford.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
So how long were you driving with low fluid? I'd make sure the tranny gets a free extended warranty from Ford.

A few weeks. I have the 7yr 125k mile ESP Premium warranty. Frankly I don't see this trans lasting very long. It was grinding worse than the one it replaced from day 1.

Sad this is I really liked this car, and this transmission has completely ruined the ownership experience. Unfortunately the only options I would really be interested in replacing it would be a Chevrolet SS, the car not the Camaro, or a Ford Falcon which obviously is not sold here.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Finally brought it in today to check on the mysterious fluid, and at first they claimed it was a rear main seal that I obviously damaged on one of the two oil changed I did myself.

I don't understand that part; how are you going to damage the rear main seal by changing the oil?

I figured Ford and Getrag would have solved the QC issues with the MT82 by now. In 2012 I was in the market for a new muscle car. I did some reading on the Mustang forums because the new 5.0 Coyote motor was intriguing. I wanted a manual transmission and the Mustang forums had many long threads with complaints about the MT82. The complaints even resulted in an NTSB complaint being filed for safety concerns of people almost being hit by traffic when the transmissions wouldn't shift. The forum moderators finally got tired of the constant complaints about the MT82 and locked the threads.

All this convinced me to buy a Challenger SRT8 392 with a Tremec 6060. Nary a problem with the Tremec or the 392 in 2 1/2 years.

The scary thing is that Ford will continue to put the Chinese built MT82 in the new 2015 Mustang. If I ever bought a Mustang it would have to be an automatic. The MT82 has been a continuing mistake by Ford. A big pile of "Not Good" that they have refused to correct.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Finally brought it in today to check on the mysterious fluid, and at first they claimed it was a rear main seal that I obviously damaged on one of the two oil changed I did myself.

I don't understand that part; how are you going to damage the rear main seal by changing the oil?

He didn't, it was just the stealership trying to say it was his fault.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

You mean to say you don't replace all the gaskets around the engine every time you change oil???

uh, who says the seal has to be installed by the factory? how do you know in the manufacturing process some monkey doesnt hammer it in during assembly? complain about china all day long, but without them you'd be a poor fella.

Wow. I QC my own work as a matter of course, but that's a bit much for any nation of origin hardware.

Are you sure that seal wasn't damaged whilst performing your DIY oil changes?
wink.gif

Ford dispenses with QC and mfg controls when they outsource? There is a good way, and a bad way; it is clear the cheaper way was chosen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
uh, who says the seal has to be installed by the factory? how do you know in the manufacturing process some monkey doesnt hammer it in during assembly? complain about china all day long, but without them you'd be a poor fella.

Totally disagree. You can't tell where a product is made by price alone, and the average cost for labor in a manufactured product averages 15-20% of the total cost. The middle man is who profits in this free trade venture. I'd rather pay a little more for a product and make 20% or who knows how much more at my job because this Chinese made [censored] has driven down my wages. The O/P has every right to have concerns with Chinese quality because it has been shown over and over again Q.C. is iffy to say the least. Another thing is that he didn't get a price break on the car by the tranny being made in China. This is exactly what is driving down the standard of living here in the USA. To top it off, US based auto parts companies hire $12 dollar an hour temps in order to compete with Mex and China. Moral of the story is to not buy foreign products if you can.

Too bad that your own service advisers are trying to jerk you around. This has to be putting a strain on your work relationships, knowing that there are people at work who would hang you out to dry if it means another dollar in their pocket.

This is a $3,030.xx transmission if sold over the counter. The tech tried to say it was the rear main and I should have seen it doing an oil change. I work back counter, so I just gave him the look and he was like "ehhh I'll keep looking." He said it smelled like engine oil, but that DCT fluid kinda looks and smells like it. So the trans is out on a jack, all the techs are just shaking their heads. The new seal will be in tomorrow if I remember to submit my order.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You mean to say you don't replace all the gaskets around the engine every time you change oil???

Just the drain plug gasket....
confused2.gif

This is a $3,030.xx transmission if sold over the counter. The tech tried to say it was the rear main and I should have seen it doing an oil change. I work back counter, so I just gave him the look and he was like "ehhh I'll keep looking." He said it smelled like engine oil, but that DCT fluid kinda looks and smells like it. So the trans is out on a jack, all the techs are just shaking their heads. The new seal will be in tomorrow if I remember to submit my order.

Gotcha! Okay, my paranoia wasn't justified this time.

Still, a RMS leak should have been covered under warranty. And, the UV dye used to diagnose that leak wouldn't have showed up in the puddle.

Originally Posted By: jhs914
I figured Ford and Getrag would have solved the QC issues with the MT82 by now. In 2012 I was in the market for a new muscle car. I did some reading on the Mustang forums because the new 5.0 Coyote motor was intriguing. I wanted a manual transmission and the Mustang forums had many long threads with complaints about the MT82. The complaints even resulted in an NTSB complaint being filed for safety concerns of people almost being hit by traffic when the transmissions wouldn't shift. The forum moderators finally got tired of the constant complaints about the MT82 and locked the threads.

All this convinced me to buy a Challenger SRT8 392 with a Tremec 6060. Nary a problem with the Tremec or the 392 in 2 1/2 years.

The scary thing is that Ford will continue to put the Chinese built MT82 in the new 2015 Mustang. If I ever bought a Mustang it would have to be an automatic. The MT82 has been a continuing mistake by Ford. A big pile of "Not Good" that they have refused to correct.

Yup. This is decidedly why I won't buy a BOSS 302 unfortunately. I love the car, but I simply cannot trust the gearbox. And I'm not into having to swap it out after ponying up the cash for the car. Not happening.

It should have got the T-56.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back