Chinese Purolators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't mention it here.

Last time I mentioned Chinese Purolators, I got ragged.

the motor vehicle engine oil filters are US made, and to discuss other than that here is verbotten.

Meh...I use to be pretty biased towards Chinese filters thinking they were total junk. I ran one on my wife's Patriot and cut it open afterwards, it looked pretty good. No idea on the efficiency, but construction was decent at least :)
I would run them again.....on her vehicle :)

DSCF0046.jpg

DSCF0217.jpg

DSCF0219.jpg

DSCF0220.jpg

DSCF0221.jpg

DSCF0224.jpg

You also have the Saudi made ones, but I'm not quite sure how good they are...especially priced at something like $1.70 each.

Having been caught the last time there was a discussion along these lines, all I'm gonna' say is ....
36.gif
and
35.gif

Originally Posted By: steve20
next will be your Hanes or FOTL made in China--nothing is sacred

Steve

Actually I think my Hanes are made in the Dominican Republic or nearby...unfortunately....

The elite are simply determined to cease all manufacturing here in the USA...all so they can give greedy shareholders another few pennies in returns.

Short sighted and pathetic....not to mention it is like killing the goose that laid the golden egg!

Last edited:
I was just in Peps this evening picking up a Purolator air filter for the wife's Tahoe. 3 on the shelf 2 made in china one made in USA.
Now there are just 2 Choinese made filters on the shelf

Steve

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Originally Posted By: steve20
next will be your Hanes or FOTL made in China--nothing is sacred

Steve

Actually I think my Hanes are made in the Dominican Republic or nearby...unfortunately....

The elite are simply determined to cease all manufacturing here in the USA...all so they can give greedy shareholders another few pennies in returns.

Short sighted and pathetic....not to mention it is like killing the goose that laid the golden egg!

I'd like to see everyone that says "don't you get it, we live in a global economy." when all thats left is retail.

With so many vehicle variations, you need a lot of filter variations. It does not make economical sense to make all possible filters (certainly in excess of 10,000) in every country.
We have a lot of Asian made cars and European Volvo trucks here, so from Donaldson I get a lot of British made filters for the Volvos and a lot of Indonesian filters for the Asian cars. Since Italy is the king of air compressors, a lot of the compressor filters are made there. Out of 16 countries, I get more than 50% from the USA. It really depends on where the car is made and how many of them are in any given country.

There is one filter I that I need 800 per month. but it still isn't enough volume for them to make in a second country. Still makes sense for them to send it from Indonesia to Mexico for a final destination of Bolivia. So I imagine in the US you would also get the Indonesian filter for that application. BTW, it is a very nicely built filter.

I think quality depends more on the Brand and their controls than the country.

Originally Posted By: widman
With so many vehicle variations, you need a lot of filter variations.

The one thing I'll never understand is why there are so many different filters in the first place! Back when the oil filter was first invented, why didn't the car makers and oil filter companies get together and just come up with 3 or 4 different filters and left it at that? They should have standardized one thread size, had filters in three different sizes, and then incorporated the bypass valve into the oil filter base plate to eliminate the need for one in the filter itself. Instead, now we've got a bazillion different filters, it's ridiculous if you ask me!

China doesn't really make cars or motorcycles. At least none they export. They still make a lot of cars and filters in the USA. I wouldn't use a china oil filter on my car if it was free. The US is a big market, and unless you have some very obscure foreign vehicle there's no good reason why the filter can't be made in USA or at least the country of the vehicles origin.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Purolator = quality

it doesn't matter where they are made

Yes it does. China = cheap, child labor made junk. The money needs to stay in the US to support the US workers. Not China workers.

Would you buy a Corvette if it was %100 made in China and still cost the same, just because it still has the same name?

I try to buy anything I can that still says "made in the US" stamped on it if and when I can. China can keep their jumk and any company that moves whatever product I buy to be made in China will no longer get my money.

Last edited:
After what happened with GM, the UAW and our government...
there is NO WAY I would ever buy another GM vehicle or drive one even it it was given to me for free.

As for things no longer being made in the USA, theres nothing wrong with buying stuff made in China or Mexico.
BTW, the Corvette trans is made in Mexico by Tremec. They should shut down Bowling Green and head south.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back