Chinese Copycat Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see them try and collect on this lawsuit.

"Rolls-Royce is consulting lawyers after the Chinese launched the Geely GE, a copycat car, including a winged mascot and huge radiator grill, for just £30,000..."

does this really surprise anyone? EVERYTHING out of Asia has been originally copied from somewhere else. from DVDs to missiles, it's all copied.
lest you think I am stereotyping, give some examples that prove me wrong.

Quote:
est you think I am stereotyping, give some examples that prove me wrong.

fireworks.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
est you think I am stereotyping, give some examples that prove me wrong.

fireworks.

Good one.....that's the only one. Well maybe not the only one.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
does this really surprise anyone? EVERYTHING out of Asia has been originally copied from somewhere else. from DVDs to missiles, it's all copied.

Uhh, might want to re-think that one partner.

Take a look at these chinese firsts, I gave up after the first hundred or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_inventions

A few Chinese inventions:

gunpowder
matches
fireworks
crossbow
paper
ink
printing
paper money
toilet paper
silk
abacus
decimal system
sundial
astronomy
compass
kite
pottery wheel
porcelain
seismograph
medicine
ice cream
pasta

figures it would be mori to pick apart my claim.
howabout something that was invented/manufactured in the LAST THOUSAND OR SO YEARS?
I thought when I said 'DVDs to missles', it was understood I was talking about the modern Chinese predilection of copying Western designs.
and I don't think they 'invented' silk, they just stole it from the worms.

...and I don't think they 'invented' silk, they just stole it from the worms.

So are you just plain prejudiced or what? Are you trolling?

sorry I spelled missiles correctly the 1st time, missed a letter the 2nd time.
prejudiced? no, I didn't prejudge the situation. just making an observation.
trolling? no, I didn't just pop in to cause controversy.
and sorry, I was attempting humor w/ the silk comment.

"Well, what have you given the world apart from George Bush, Cheerios, and the ThighMaster?"
"Chinese food?"
"That's from China."
crackmeup2.gif

I remember as a kid, going to the open house at the General Electric plant in Peterborough and seeing a couple of chinese guys taking notes and looking very closely at everything. There was and probably still is alot of knowledge there on how to design and build large electric motors and generators that would take a decade or 2 to figure out starting from scratch...

Flash Memory (Toshiba, Japan)
Instant Noodle (Japan)
Walkman (Sony, Japan)
A majority of the DVD patents (Sony and Toshiba, Japan)

Had you spent any time looking into it, you'd have found plenty of inventions.

You're either being racist or trolling, and you've already denied trolling.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Flash Memory (Toshiba, Japan)

Walkman (Sony, Japan)
A majority of the DVD patents (Sony and Toshiba, Japan)

..but that was a result of selling them the transistor in (iirc) 1955 or something. Within a very few years, we couldn't afford to make them ourselves. The evolution started there in consumer electronics. There was no such thing as a consumer electronics market in the USA before the Fair Trade Laws were abolished. You had to be a serviceman to enjoy cheap stereo ..or an upper middle class person here. Otherwise, Radio Shack (Realistic) was about as good as you could afford.

All developing economies go through this. You send them your antiquated, lower yield, technologies ..give them currency ..and they buy your otherwise too expensive or unattainable leading edge technologies.

The unfortunate consequences to this is that you've got way more lower ROI yield technologies than you do leading edge ..at least in terms of direct employment. No hard core domestic capitalist "needs" domestic car production. They need ROI. When Japan got too expensive to employ their own people, they had to build assembly plants here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back