china mart put on fram instead of M1 filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont usually go there but i asked them to put in napa syn and a M1 filter so i get under car 3 months later for a OC and i see a fram to my horror. I put on a world class auto value and checked my M1 filter box which they left in car and i put outside assuming it was my old ST (same color as a M1). I found the brand new M1 still there and rusting, what a waste. i bought it on a AZ oil change special (m1 ep and m1 filter, m1 was only in my g5 for 1500 miles after wife put in diesel fuel in gas tank, another disaster!) I wasnt charged for fram filter but it is fg irritating that the awesome m1 was ruined. I have sympathy for underpaid wal mart workers but i wasnt asking them to do cartwheels.

I'm confused a bit, you supplied the Napa Synthetic Oil (obviously, since Walmart does not carry Napa products....lol) right? They were also supposed to install your Mobil 1 Filter that you provided?

But where it gets hairy, is you say "I put on a world class auto value and checked my M1 filter box which they left in car and i put outside assuming it was my old ST (same color as a M1). I found the brand new M1 still there and rusting, what a waste."

Are you saying your current OCI, you recently installed the "World Class Auto Value Filter" and when you went under the car, you found the FRAM Filter installed? And then decided to check your "Mobil 1 Filter box" and found that the Mobil 1 Filter was still in the box?

I'm curious why a Mobil 1 Filter would be rusting in a cardboard box, having only sat for 3 months, unused, in a cardboard box though!
smile.gif

Lesson learned, next time re-check your "carry in" materials before leaving. Having been 3+ months they are not likely to "compensate" you in any way....

What has me odd though, is look at your receipt, if you "carried in" the oil filter, you should have gotten a "credit" of about $2.15 taken off your bill, for providing your own filter. I don't know exactly how they "figure" that in, but basically to come up with their "Oil Change Pricing" they take the labor + avg. typical cost of a spin-on filter + avg. typical cost of oil.....so you should have gotten a credit of some sort for providing your own filter
smile.gif
So basically, you got a free filter out of the deal anyways
smile.gif

Still can't see why the Mobil 1 would be rusted after only 3 months of sitting in the car/garage "un used" though....?

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I'm confused a bit, you supplied the Napa Synthetic Oil (obviously, since Walmart does not carry Napa products....lol) right? They were also supposed to install your Mobil 1 Filter that you provided?

But where it gets hairy, is you say "I put on a world class auto value and checked my M1 filter box which they left in car and i put outside assuming it was my old ST (same color as a M1). I found the brand new M1 still there and rusting, what a waste."

Are you saying your current OCI, you recently installed the "World Class Auto Value Filter" and when you went under the car, you found the FRAM Filter installed? And then decided to check your "Mobil 1 Filter box" and found that the Mobil 1 Filter was still in the box?

I'm curious why a Mobil 1 Filter would be rusting in a cardboard box, having only sat for 3 months, unused, in a cardboard box though!
smile.gif

Lesson learned, next time re-check your "carry in" materials before leaving. Having been 3+ months they are not likely to "compensate" you in any way....

What has me odd though, is look at your receipt, if you "carried in" the oil filter, you should have gotten a "credit" of about $2.15 taken off your bill, for providing your own filter. I don't know exactly how they "figure" that in, but basically to come up with their "Oil Change Pricing" they take the labor + avg. typical cost of a spin-on filter + avg. typical cost of oil.....so you should have gotten a credit of some sort for providing your own filter
smile.gif
So basically, you got a free filter out of the deal anyways
smile.gif

Still can't see why the Mobil 1 would be rusted after only 3 months of sitting in the car/garage "un used" though....?

I think he said he left the box with the (M1 thought it was ST) filter in it, outside.

The credit for a provided filter is just the cost of the Fram filter.
This happens. Its due to a lack of communication between the service writer and the techs. If they were busy, that would be the most obvious answer. Even if the writer put in "Customer supplied" for the filter on the computer; it becomes so automatic to put the "books" in that just gets glanced over.
I try to put the filter on the dash when Im writing and this comes up so it is plainly obvious what is supposed to happen. I know the others do as well.

Last edited:
Lesson #2:Always check the box for correct filter.

This is why I also change my own oil.
06.gif

I had Walmart change my free warranty battery and even then I was worried they would use a 3/4" impact wrench to tighten the hold down bolts and distort the case causing a possible leak.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I had Walmart change my free warranty battery and even then I was worried they would use a 3/4" impact wrench to tighten the hold down bolts and distort the case causing a possible leak.
lol.gif

Well, schiesse happens. Live and learn. You shouldn't have to watch while the OC is being done, but shows why it's not a bad idea, especially with special instructions. Not trying to be condesceding to your plight though. At least the orange can didn't hurt anything, but you're right, it sure isn't an M1. btw, what's the TLE charge when bringing your own oil and filter?

Be interested though in hearing how the car is running after the diesel fuel.

Here's what I do. I spray white paint on the end of every other M1 filter I give to the dealer, prior to the oc. Then,when the car comes out, I just glance under the car to insure that the filter is the proper color so I know they changed it with the filter I gave them.

Originally Posted By: chet2
i dont usually go there but i asked them to put in napa syn and a M1 filter so i get under car 3 months later for a OC and i see a fram to my horror. I put on a world class auto value and checked my M1 filter box which they left in car and i put outside assuming it was my old ST (same color as a M1). I found the brand new M1 still there and rusting, what a waste. i bought it on a AZ oil change special (m1 ep and m1 filter, m1 was only in my g5 for 1500 miles after wife put in diesel fuel in gas tank, another disaster!) I wasnt charged for fram filter but it is fg irritating that the awesome m1 was ruined. I have sympathy for underpaid wal mart workers but i wasnt asking them to do cartwheels.

What? What what?

Walmart ripped out the headlight wiring while changing a warrenty battery.... sigh.

I would have changed it but I had no tools in my GF car at the time.

Last edited:
sayjac, the pontiac 2.2 "diesel" is up to 34.8mpg now after being 32.2 just after gas tank/fuel lines were cleaned so it seems ok now...i told the tech personally to put on my own oil filter and i wasnt charged for fram he ended up putting on...i changed oil on pontiac only 100 miles after stealership changed it during diesel fiasco to make sure oil was clean, they found diesel fuel in crankcase too

How is it even possible to put diesel fuel into a gasoline powered car when the diesel nozzle is so much larger?

Originally Posted By: JGR
Lesson #2:Always check the box for correct filter.

This is why I also change my own oil.
06.gif

Dude. I've always checked my oil jug to make sure it isn't used oil, and check my new air filter to make sure it isn't a used return, but I have never thought about checking the box for people switching in an expensive filter into a cheap Fram box leaving the Fram in the expensive filter box.
eek.gif

Dang. You have to check everything these days.

Originally Posted By: Patman
How is it even possible to put diesel fuel into a gasoline powered car when the diesel nozzle is so much larger?

Not in every situation. Some stations have gasoline-size nozzles on the diesel dispensers.

A co-worker of mine has a 2009 Toyota Corolla. They were on a road trip and he asked his 13 year old son to pump the gas while he went inside to use the restroom. He came out and his son had filled the car with diesel. Said his son used the green nozzle because he heard about green fuels being better.

So he had the car towed to the local Toyota dealer where they lowered and drained the tank and flushed the lines.

I've gone to Wal-Mart for 2 years in the past while living in an apartment. The same thing happend. I told them I wanted them to put on an ST filter that I brought in. When I got back in my car the ST was still sitting on the passenger seat. I took a look under the hood to find a Fram on it. I told the manager about it and they offer to do my oil change over again, but I didn't make a big deal out of it. You should have check to see if the filter you supply was still in the box before you left, and check when you got home what filter was in the car. Why are you keeping your filter outside? You figured this out 3 months later? I can't give WM 100% of the blame of this one. You've been around here long enough to know that you double check a Quick Lube's work before leaving or when you got home. Espectially as checking to see if the the filter you suply was on the car or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back