Chimney Sweep needed?

For a few months now we've been finding dead or near death flies in the house. About one every two weeks. Another dead fly on the floor. They looked like regular house flies. Wife had our fireplace all decorated and we haven't had a fire all winter. It's a gas fireplace. She put away the winter decorations and is transition to spring but it gave me a chance to clean some soot from the bricks that have been there for two years. Upon opening the fireplace doors, I've discovered the source of the flies. These flies look a little greener than regular black house flies. I assume there is or was some food source in the chimney for them. I did get a slight whiff of death a few weeks ago but don't smell it much now. Do I need to call a chimney sweep to clean out whatever might be in there or can I wait and see what happens? Any additional information is helpful so I'm not totally naive if the sweep tries telling what is needed.

Traditionally chimney sweeping is for wood or coal creosote and combustible carbon removal. I had a chimney sweep business in the 70's. Gas typically has none of the above. If you smell something dead sweeping is probably the way to go.

I can’t see creosote regardless of fuel type to be the cause of flys.

Can you look up the chimney from inside the house and see daylight? If it’s clear/ not plugged, light it up and burn it a good few hrs. Hopefully a squirrel carcass doesn’t fall out. Make certain the fire is hot if one does.

For a few months now we've been finding dead or near death flies in the house. About one every two weeks. Another dead fly on the floor. They looked like regular house flies. Wife had our fireplace all decorated and we haven't had a fire all winter. It's a gas fireplace. She put away the winter decorations and is transition to spring but it gave me a chance to clean some soot from the bricks that have been there for two years. Upon opening the fireplace doors, I've discovered the source of the flies. These flies look a little greener than regular black house flies. I assume there is or was some food source in the chimney for them. I did get a slight whiff of death a few weeks ago but don't smell it much now. Do I need to call a chimney sweep to clean out whatever might be in there or can I wait and see what happens? Any additional information is helpful so I'm not totally naive if the sweep tries telling what is needed.
You said you smelled something for a while. Maybe a bird or mouse died in your chimney. Hence the flies.

I can’t see creosote regardless of fuel type to be the cause of flys.

Can you look up the chimney from inside the house and see daylight? If it’s clear/ not plugged, light it up and burn it a good few hrs. Hopefully a squirrel carcass doesn’t fall out. Make certain the fire is hot if one does.
And get a chimney cap after problem is solved.

And get a chimney cap after problem is solved.
I have a cap that looks in good shape from the sides I can see well. Sometimes hawks or owls will take their prey up on the cap to eat. Maybe something escaped their clutches. The smell seems gone and after a big fire, the flies seem gone. The warmer weather approaching will tell if whatever it was has been consumed or is still decaying.

Back