“Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came”

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Kaoshiung a while ago trying out the new tram system while it was still free. It runs through the port area, mostly derelict military bases and chemical works now being demolished for the usual post-industrial consumerist strip mall.

Wonder what the story is here. Sign on the wall says it was a fertilizer works.

Could be they've left it alone because they want to preserve it as a retro industrial heritage monument, or it could be its something rather nasty and they don't really want to touch it.

The truck looks like an air-sampling unit, but its a fair bet that the plant around here will have used a lot of asbestos pipe insulation, so that might be a general precaution and not anything specific to the tower.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Fertilizer as in ammonium nitrates? Stuff that can go bang? Hows the window regulator?

Hadn't thought of that. Spose so, but it doesn't go bang THAT readily. When I was in the RE we used to mix it up in a cement mixer with diesel to make AMFO medium-explosive.

I suppose if they were planning on oxy-cutting the tower and it had ammonium nitrate in it that might be an issue though.

Window winders ("regulator" sounds like some kind of vigilante bounty-hunter to me) are sort-of OK. I'll update the thread. Moot point though 'cos I may have killed the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back